What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this sphagnum?

This are three photos of recently-acquired utrics with some moss growth (the third pic shows it best), and I'm all but certain it's sphagnum moss - can anyone confirm or correct?

I'm concerned it will eventually overgrow and smother the utrics if I don't keep up on trimming it (won't it?).

Looks like carpet moss

Sphagnum is thicker; the more I look at it the less it looks like Sphagnum.

Does anyone have an inkling if this stuff will overgrow my utric and smother it? I just can't imagine trying to "separate them" - it would be a nightmare and I'm not sure it'd even be possible.

I don't think it'll overgrow it quickly, but over time probably. It grows pretty slowly for me. I'd just keep an eye on it.

I have that exact same moss and some liverworts with my U. livida, and the utric promply overgrew both of them. So, if you still want your moss, then tear a few strands out and toss it in another pot. :)

As for the identity of the moss, I think it's Polytrichum.

Thanks guys. I got confirmation from the guy who sent me the utrics that the utrics will overgrow the moss.

Frankly the only moss I'm interested in having in any quantity right now is sphagnum moss. I'm thinking about making an outdoor bucket or two of the stuff in the Spring, with the info I got from seedjar and swords.

If you have a spare twin tube shoplight and a couple jiffy greenhouse trays with lids you could start a couple batches now. Mosses seem to grow better under lights for me. Use something with a large surface area if you want a lot of it. I've actually been thinking of getting a 40" L x 18" W sterlite tub with clear lid and doing a whole huge cropping spahgnum bog to get ready for my vivariums.

Do you have access to a bale of Orchid Moss from Lowes or New Zealand Sphagnum Moss from Petsmart's reptile aisle? This is the best way to get a starter culture of real sphagnum going rather than trying to get it from peat, I know it's "sphagnum peat" but seldom does sphagnum come up out of it. :(

If it gets too dense, you have to sit down for half an hour and start pulling it out with your fingernails. Otherwise your utric won't get enough light.

Don't worry too much about pulling out some utric leaves. If you're careful enough you won't have a problem.

Back