What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hcarlton's Utrics

New light is dragging the good purples out of this guy again...hopefully the several new lights I have acquired will get the rest of the species I have to bloom too
U. dichotoma by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

The blue bunny blooms again!
U. sandersonii "blue" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Even better, this is the only species in this particular subgroup that I own that I've managed to get pollen off of, and it looks like a cross with U. livida has succeeded...

U. sandersonii

I much prefer the standard white, as far as growth and flowering, but that blue is just lovely.

Dude, what an amazing Utric collection you have!
I've always liked the leaves of U. calycifida
I was never able to get my hands on the flowering clone of U. longifolia
Are you interested in U. reniformis 'Big Sister'? Mine is in flower right now, the flowers are soooo tall and big. Love that plant!

Dude, what an amazing Utric collection you have!
I've always liked the leaves of U. calycifida
I was never able to get my hands on the flowering clone of U. longifolia
Are you interested in U. reniformis 'Big Sister'? Mine is in flower right now, the flowers are soooo tall and big. Love that plant!

I wouldn't say I have an amazing collection, only a handful of species.
If I could find a place for it I certainly would be interested in U. cornigera ('Big Sister' is not recognized as reniformis any longer), but I wouldn't really have a spot to put it currently.

Thanks for the update on 'Big Sister'!
Sounds good, I have one currently growing in a 4.5" pot so it doesn't take up too much real estate. But it currently has smaller leaves than the one in the 12" pot, not sure if that's because it is flowering or because it is so bound up in the pot. I really need to take some cuttings!

As it is I'm literally balancing pots on the edges of shelves, so even a 4" pot would be huge for what space I could try and root out :p

This is one of my Tricolor plugs now. I have read they abort a lot. Fingers crossed!

I am not sure I am doing anything special. It is in plugs in a 1020 tray with other Utricularia species. I use rain water mostly. Its warm in the window this time of year. Probably close to mid 80s. Water about 2/3rds the way up the plugs.

I would be happy to share any more info if you have any questions!

Best of luck!

https://imgur.com/a/kLAbnzw

In solidarity,
Brandon

Good luck, Brandon and Hawken. That's pretty exciting!

I've had mine abort flower stalks in the past but I am trying a new method. My U. tricolor is in lfs in a 3-inch net pot and standing in about 1" of water and in decreased light. The foliage growth is very encouraging but no flower stalks yet.

That either of you have even had stalks is more than I've had yet. Recent repot with half the pot in peat and the other half sphagnum is an experiment, and it has been somewhat relocated, so we'll see; so far all I can gather is that it doesn't seem to care which medium it's in, as leaves are spreading across both sides.

Wow! Those are gorgeous!

Back