What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

grow zones for sarrs

i live in a zone 5-6 border and was wondering what species of sarracenia can be planted and left outside year round and even if species from zone 7 could survive in a 5 or 6 with some heavy mulching?

I'm guessing that most Sarracenia could still manage in your area, though some of the warmer climate ones might struggle.

I'm not very knowledgeable of Sarracenia, though. But I do feel like I have seen people in your area grow Sarracenia somewhat successfully.

It would be best to insulate your Sarracenia during dormancy if you live at the 5-6 range. You can insulate pots of them by cutting off all growth before entering dormancy, letting them dry to a barely moist state, placing the pots into a potato sack, then placing them into a large tupperware and filling it with pine needles and stuff of the sorts.
The northern populations of purpurea would be able to grow year round without trouble, though. You may choose to grow only these plants, but if you would like to have a vivid arrange of lovely tall pitchers it would be best to follow the guidelines to insulate your plants.
Sarracenia psittacina, Sarracenia leucophylla, and Sarracenia rosea might have problems in your area.

Here is a great read on dormancy, covering many things this post has not.
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2380.html

All of the Sarracenia's have been grown successfully outdoors in places like Pennsylvania, New York and even New England. The key to success is how one takes care of the plants during winter. Cutting off the old foliage in the fall and covering the rhizomes with mulch, then a ground cover is what needs to be done, then uncovering everything in the spring.

Which Sarracenia would be the easiest one to grow from seed?
I live in Veracruz, Mexico...
There are several species in seed on Ebay...
Or should I definetely stay away from those too?

Okay sweet. I didn't want to risk anything with stratifying the seeds outside even tho I thought they might survive since I have a good idea of temps up and down the east coast but since all have been grown outdoors in ny then I don't have so much to worry about. As for easiest to seeds.... to me I think its all the same. For hardiest plant id have to say purpurea. Just my oppinion and I'm still kinda a noob...

Isn't mulch considered a ground cover?

Which Sarracenia would be the easiest one to grow from seed?
I live in Veracruz, Mexico...
There are several species in seed on Ebay...
Or should I definetely stay away from those too?

Keep in mind that Sarrs need to have a winter dormancy. For your location that would probably need to be induced.

Hmm... Ok... Thanks...
I'll experiment with cheaper stuff first... Later...
Maybe next winter when I've learned a thing or two...

In your location I would start with tropical sundews like drosera indica or lowland neps. Neps seem to require more of an intermediate grower but as along as you can keep humidity up I would see y. You couldn't grow them outdoors in a terrarium.

Back