What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drosera Graomogolensis Feeding

I just got myself a drosera graomogolensis. I was wondering if it is advisable to feed this species. I used to have 3 plantlets that were growing super well on a WINDOWSILL out of all places ( dew and everything) I decided to try to feed to speed up growth, food rotted and so did the whole plant. I want my new plant to grow as fast as possible, so should I forget feeding, use a different method, or just use a diluted maxsea fertilizer? Any tips?

How big were the pieces of food you gave to the plantlets? Even adult plants can only handle tiny amounts of food.

In regards to your original question, I would say that the occasional feeding would help with growth. Don't feed it right away, make sure it is actively growing in your conditions. My SA Drosera all take food really well (keep in mind they digest food better when they have lots of light). When I fed them fish food I made sure that the specks are no bigger than a drop of dew, and I applied it to the tentacles so the food gets soggy first and doesn't press up against the leaf immediately.

Yea thanks. I just got it yesterday, I don't plan on feeding till it's settled in. I'll dew the method where the food is the size of the dew drop. Last time I fed a whole betta fish pellet to a relative small plant, probably not the best idea. I knew practically nothing back then, but somehow the graos grew on my window with zero care other than watering.

If they get enough direct light they should do fine on a window. They don't need as much humidity as other SA sundews.

I've given my D. graomogolensis whole betta pellets and haven't had any issues, but it is a mature plant and I'm growing at 50% humidity. The leaves will completely fold over the pellet to digest it. I can't say I've noticed much of a difference in growth though since it isn't like it's going to get any bigger and it hasn't flowered for me yet.

I've given my D. graomogolensis whole betta pellets and haven't had any issues, but it is a mature plant and I'm growing at 50% humidity. The leaves will completely fold over the pellet to digest it. I can't say I've noticed much of a difference in growth though since it isn't like it's going to get any bigger and it hasn't flowered for me yet.

Do the tentacles burn? I notice that they will for my D. latifolia if the pieces are a little too big, even though the leaf will be fine.

Do the tentacles burn? I notice that they will for my D. latifolia if the pieces are a little too big, even though the leaf will be fine.

Not that I've noticed, though I haven't paid real close attention.

Hmm, I suppose graomogolensis may just be a more voracious eater than latifolia. The only sundew that can dissolve a full sized fish pellet for me is D. burmannii, and I suppose D. pulchella can take pretty large pieces too.

The state of health of your plant, as well as the conditions it's in, will affect the amount of food it can take at any one time. High humidity, low circulation, low light, or an adjusting plant will tend to make it so that large food items won't be dealt with properly and will mold or rot instead. On the other hand, plants as big as graomogolensis or latifolia will readily catch flies and other larger insects in the wild, so clearly with the right care they can take it.....

The state of health of your plant, as well as the conditions it's in, will affect the amount of food it can take at any one time. High humidity, low circulation, low light, or an adjusting plant will tend to make it so that large food items won't be dealt with properly and will mold or rot instead. On the other hand, plants as big as graomogolensis or latifolia will readily catch flies and other larger insects in the wild, so clearly with the right care they can take it.....

I fed my latifolia fish food not long after recieving it, so perhaps that explains why the tentacles got a little messed up.

I always prefer the occasional spray of diluted Maxsea. It is much gentler, and my sundews seem to appreciate it, especially D. slackii, which easily burns.

All my Drosera get one or a mix of dried bloodworms and Maxsea, typically no issues are seen if individual pieces of the hard food are small (even if a lot is given), or the fertilizer is dilute enough.

Back