What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dormancy
I have Several carnivorous plants. I don't have the list of exact scientific names but I don't think you really need it for this question.
1 Sundew
3 .Red dragon Venus flytraps
5. Venus fly traps
1.purple pitcher
1. North American pitcher Alta I think
1. Butterwort

you can see them here

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=904030#post904030

What are the best method for dormancy for them?
Also I know you have to reduce the light so does anyone know of a good guide about when to lower the lights and how long to keep them dormant for?

Thanks!

First off, welcome to TerraForums!

Second, it would help us to know where you are from.
The best method for dormancy with the plants you have listed (which are temperate to warm-temperate) is to leave them outside and let nature take over. However, I saw in your other thread that you are growing your plants in a terrarium.
Unless you live somewhere that experiances extremely cold or unusually warm weather when the plants should be in dormancy, I do not reccomend growing them this way. Giving the plants a sufficient dormancy and the amount of light required will be very difficult.

Good Luck

Matt

The D. capensis doesn't need dormancy, so you can keep it in the tank.

I would highly recommend growing the flytraps and sarracenia outside unless you have a very hostile environment or no sunny area. But we'll definitely need to know where you live.

Washington State USA the far western tip. as far west and north as you can almost get. on a mountain.:-O

I say keep them inside until spring as you have probably experianced some freezing weather already.
You can either:
1) Lower the amount of time the lights are on to 12 hours and lower the temperature as much as you can.
2) Trim back all of the growth, wrap in plastic bags and place in the fridge until spring. (Reccomended) See Scotychaos' "year in the life" thread for detailed instructions on how to do this.

I'll try to get SirKristoff to chime in on this thread. He lives in Washington as well.

WOOHOOO. ANOTHER WASHINGTON GROWER! welcome to TF!!! So you live around Port Angeles then?
You can grow them outside all year, but during winter you might want to put them in a garage or shed to keep them from freezing for too long, Terrariums are not good for VFTs and Sarras long term, but people can do it...its just difficult, so why waste space that you could use for growing some fine tropical CPs like neps, dews, mexi pings, helis, utrics, etc. I suggest putting them outside as soon as spring comes around, which for us is usually around april lol...this year was awkward. Sarracenia and Dionaea require dormancy, so you need to get them in the swing of things asap.

"which for us is usually around april lol...this year was awkward."
AMEN! lol If you own the plant in your avatar, It is very nice!

Yeah nice to see another grower here!

so I should take the Sarra and the VF trap out and put them in my garage? SO which require dormancy and for how long should i put them where?

The nepenthes in my avatar is not mine, though I took the pic. It is another local growers plant. As far as where to put your plants, the VFTs and Sarras should go outside next spring, and be moved to a place where frost and hard freezes will not hit them. A garage or shed would work best, the drosera and ping will do fine in your terra, you could probably put a few small neps in there too.

So I should just take them out there right now and leave them there? I very sure there ready to start dormancy. I have to still water them right?

SO no dormancy for the ping an drosera, how much light per day? I could turn of one set on lights or just lessen the hours.

I would leave them in there for this year, dormancy isn't an isntant thing, it is something that comes along as the weather changes. I run my lights from 6am to 10pm.you don't want to water plants during dormancy because it can cause root rot. The cold generally keeps the soil from drying out anyway.

ok well my garage gets just about no light except a small amount near a north window.

So I should put them out there now and take them out late april?

I would just hate to loose these beauties

IMG_8690.jpg

IMG_8693.jpg

IMG_8695.jpg

IMG_8700.jpg

just for the VFT and the Sarras right? put plastic bag on them and them put them in the garage . I could also put them in my cold basement. the garage get around 20 degrees Fahrenheit and the base stay warmer but its still fairly cool down there

I agree with treating the VFTs and Sarrs gently this winter, since they have been in a protected environment, but they'll be able to tolerate next winter if they spend next summer outdoors. Depending on how cold it gets at your elevation, a fluffy layer of leaves will give your VFTs and Sarrs all the protection they need. We don't go below -10 here and 12" of pin oak leaves seems to be plenty, with the pots buried in the ground almost to the brim. If you get much snow, it's a good idea to put a lean-to or something overhead to keep snow from piling up over the plants. Otherwise, the top of the snow melts on warms days and the water re-freezes underneath and can suffocate your plants in leafy ice. When they're acclimated to it, Sarrs can freeze solid and stay that way for months without harm. But that's in CT winter and I can't vouch for their prospects in a harsher winter.

Shadow,

the problem you have for this winter is that your plants have been growing indoors..
growing VFTs and Sarrs indoors is very bad for them, because it messes up dormancy.

your plants arent ready to go dormant right now, because they have been growing indoors.
so dormancy for this winter is pretty much moot..the plants arent ready, they havent been prepared.
(they "get prepared" by being outdoors all summer and autumn, getting the natural decreasing temp and photoperiod cues..indoor plants dont get that.)

I would just leave your plants on the windowsill all winter..dont bother with dormancy this winter..
its not ideal, its risky, but its really your only option right now..

then put the plants outdoors in the spring, then worry about dormancy for NEXT winter..
outside, garage, basement, depending on your climate.

Scot

Back