What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discretion Needed

I hope you're making lolz of teh recent pest and not seriously calling Ms. Emily a "brother" o_o

i defenetely thought about it afterwards and hoped that someone would catch it =] no sense in this ENTIRE thread being serious.

Zu, no need to personalize...I think we've had a good discussion here. And though this thread is especially relevant in light of recent events, the principles that are being discussed are not limited to that one situation. For example, I'm going to read between the lines with some of the recent threads being brought up and infer that there's some jerk going around demanding seeds through PMs. This is just a guess on my part, though, because we haven't had a single PM reported to us.

Jerks are, unfortunately, part of life. It's not a matter of if we'll have to deal with one again, but when. And I think it's good if we all know where we stand, so we'll know what to do and how to act next time.

It is interesting how much these recent events have affected the people here. I know people come along that just want to grind your gears. But it is better to leave them to their own world, then get deeply involved in heated conversations.

I don't want to see the attitude of this forum changing. I hope we can move on from these recent events and continue being the nicest forum!

Zu, no need to personalize...I think we've had a good discussion here. And though this thread is especially relevant in light of recent events, the principles that are being discussed are not limited to that one situation. For example, I'm going to read between the lines with some of the recent threads being brought up and infer that there's some jerk going around demanding seeds through PMs. This is just a guess on my part, though, because we haven't had a single PM reported to us.

Jerks are, unfortunately, part of life. It's not a matter of if we'll have to deal with one again, but when. And I think it's good if we all know where we stand, so we'll know what to do and how to act next time.

OK.
:hail:

I must have missed what precipitated this, but like Lois said, it's best to praise in public and (my words) be critical in private. Try that first. If that doesn't resolve anything, then consider going to a Moderator.

Haha, I have been reading a little here and there and I think its funny how everyone gets so worked up ; )

There are immature people on this form and every other forum. If you feed their attention seeking behavior then the problem only gets worse, and the next thing you know in twenty years you end up with a sociopath and a dead body : p

I kid, but everyone needs to relax a little bit. I got tired of juvenile behavior and that's why I don't really post much, but I still drop by from time to time.

All this talk of a lynch mob mentality, the forum "changing" etc... I am not a regular poster so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but forums change and people come and go. I think this form is a great place and an excellent resource for newbies to grow and learn in this hobby, and a place for veterans to come as well.

I am pleased to see people demanding proof of a cultivars status. This makes me very happy. I view this as the maturation of the hobby as a whole and am glad to see things like this being taken seriously. What I am disappointed in is that so many members were so easily provoked by a troll. Maybe we need a "Troll 101" sticky : )

trolls are powerless if everyone ignores them imho.

trolls are powerless if everyone ignores them imho.

very true. something was different about this one though. most trolls on ANY kind of forum i belong to usualy start off with a story that is so crazy that it gets everyone on the edge of their seats. ive NEVER seen a troll post pictures of said situation. anyone remember the kid with the N. rajah that ate squirrels? heh....

going back on track i define this kid as a kind of half troll. the offspring of a big ego and "real" person. he started off not trolling. going back on the posts of his with his introduction, his praising of TF, etc... then he got a figurative slap in the face and tried to defend his pride. therefore turning into a troll.

thats not what any of this is about though. as stated previously. there is a lot of immaturity here and the mob mentality isnt going to make it much better. one troll gets the ban-hammer because they were mobbed... he goes back and tells all his little troll friends. apocalypse.

Alex

What I am disappointed in is that so many members were so easily provoked by a troll. Maybe we need a "Troll 101" sticky : )

This!

I try to be good, but more and more recently my patience has been wearing thin. In my defense though, I've had run-ins with a number of people here where we resolved things privately and both came out with a better understanding. But then there are times when a situation gets out of hand, and certain people need nothing less than a kick in the behind.
I'll agree though that the overall attitude is becoming more and more bellicose around here - I often find myself choosing not to participate in discussions as such these days. :(
~Joe

Not sure what you mean.....things have only been a bit rocky for the last month or so. ???

one troll gets the ban-hammer because they were mobbed... he goes back and tells all his little troll friends. apocalypse.
That made me chuckle. Well done, XD

Not sure what you mean.....things have only been a bit rocky for the last month or so. ???

I'll just say that I disagree. XD
~Joe

Maybe the solution is to create a debate forum ;)

Bring back the squares !

Although I've been a member of this forum for some time, I'm not a regular, well not until recently. Most of us know what incident people are mainly referring to in this thread and I was indeed involved in that thread. I started off trying to give advise but this was ignored and the person in question started to get defensive. In my opinion, and what I suggested in a post, was just to ignore them. Troll or not, if you disagree with someone who won't listen to your reasoning and advise then the best thing to do is just not respond anymore. Afterall, you have said your piece and they have decided not to listen, so little point in saying it again and getting frustrated. Humans will naturally get defensive, especially when questioned and provoked, some more than others. But, I don't think this is a case of 'maturity', it's simply that some people are more reactive than others.

All in all though, I find the members of this forum to be friendly and helpful. There's always going to be some friction between some members on all forums but believe me, there are a lot worse forums than this.

I don't see what the big deal is. I don't feel as if anyone crossed any sort of line with the way that the kid was responded to. If it was such a problem there were multiple mods who were part of the threads early on and had multiple opportunity to close the thread. Most were asking for proof of his assertions or rebuking his claims. 99.999% of discussions on here are not anything that I would call argumentative or inappropriate. I personally do not understand how someone could be so turned off as to not visit as frequently because of the rare inappropriate post or comment. I like the eclectic nature and the broad experience range of all the members here. With that you are going to get the occasional jerk or conflict. Where else in forums or the real world with a broad mix of people are you not going to have conflict? I don't think that detracts from the forum, unless it becomes a chronic pervasive problem.

Bring back the squares !

...what were "the squares" (i.e. in the context above)? Or would delving into that be opening Pandora's can of worms?

I forgot all about the squares!

Back