What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph coffee treatment?

It's a wee little one.. would giving the coffee treatment to my plant be a bad idea?

I recently tried it on my ceph, a small one. no results so far but lots of sphagnum growth.. the ceph has stopped growing.

well,.. I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong. 2/3rds of the pitchers are starting to turn black around the brims of the traps.

rule #1 for cephs: DO NOT ALLOW THE CROWN OF THE PLANT TO GET WET!

on the other hand, if you think coffee's the reason, try flushing the pot out with tons of water, but again, refer back to rule #1

A little die back is always normal after moving.

Are you doing the humidity thing like I told you?

I always water thru the crowns of my Cephs with never an issue.

Of course I don't have them in a high-humidity area either. They all grow in 30%-40% and thrive.

IMHO, high-humidity and the molds/fungus' it encourages is a leading killer of Cephs, especially young "starter" Cephs.

I'd only use the coffee-treatment for fast-draining Nep soil..................

If you only have one baby Ceph that is fragile and struggling, I would not experiment.

Why so many rules for growing a plant?
I treat my plants like any other with the exception that i grow only a few on the tray method. There is nothing wrong with watering the crown...try it!
Probably the biggest mistake most beginners make is treating the plant as it was some kind of exotic frog. Locking it up in a terrarium, keep no air movement, bad lighting and 100% humidity. All my plants are growing fine in humidity that ranges from 50-80% in winter to 10-40% in summer. I water them when i see the top soil dry.
It's easy really...all the stuff that you guys do to make life better for your cephs it's actually making things worst.

My cephs get a sprinkling of cinnamon on top (plant and all the top soil) twice a year to keep the slime down, and otherwise get treated like dews: a centimeter or two of water in the saucer for a 3" pot, refill with water after the water dries out and the tray looks dry (every couple of days to a week). Humidity is whatever it is on the window sill that day.

What's the coffee treatment?

The coffee treatment is using cold, black coffee as an organic fertilizer for a plant.

Back