What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calendars and ThankYou memberships now available!!

Only plant purchases go towards thank you memberships. Calendars, media, pots etc. never have. :sorry:
Andrew

Just bought mine, FINALLY!
:spazz:

Oh ok, that's fine.

I stopped over at Andrew's place on 4 Jan 2011 and picked up my copy of the calendar. It is a very nice calendar, I feel it is a very good value.

I did notice that there was a slightly controversial statement in the caption for Drosophyllum lusitanicum.

For a long time it has been promulgated that Drosophyllum lusitanicum grow in Alkaline (high pH) soils in their native environment. I believe that this has a high probability of being a mistaken idea.
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

I believe that anyone interested in cultivating this fascinating species should read this report:

Below are two quotes taken from this report:

"Soil on the south coast of Spain is sandy or loamy, slightly acid to neutral, lime-less and poor in nutrients. The geologic underlay consists of sandstone. Drosophyllum also grows directly in sandstone crevices."

"During our observations in its native habitat, we have never seen Drosophyllum growing in alkaline soils, despite several intensive searches at suitable places."

It appears that the belief that Drosophyllum, in situ, grows in alkaline (high pH) soils, is mistaken.

Ordered mine forever ago and it sat in my mailbox because it was a pain to get the keys from the post office. >;c

Finally got the key, though, and I must say the calendar is a very nice one. I like that it has a very clean, elegant look to it as well. Makes me feel sophisticated. XD

I agree that it is a great value. Excellent calendar.

thanks Joseph for that new tid-bit. seems to show us that cultivation techniques are never fixed and new things are being learned everyday.

I stopped over at Andrew's place on 4 Jan 2011 and picked up my copy of the calendar. It is a very nice calendar, I feel it is a very good value.

I did notice that there was a slightly controversial statement in the caption for Drosophyllum lusitanicum.

For a long time it has been promulgated that Drosophyllum lusitanicum grow in Alkaline (high pH) soils in their native environment. I believe that this has a high probability of being a mistaken idea.
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

I believe that anyone interested in cultivating this fascinating species should read this report:

Below are two quotes taken from this report:

"Soil on the south coast of Spain is sandy or loamy, slightly acid to neutral, lime-less and poor in nutrients. The geologic underlay consists of sandstone. Drosophyllum also grows directly in sandstone crevices."

"During our observations in its native habitat, we have never seen Drosophyllum growing in alkaline soils, despite several intensive searches at suitable places."

It appears that the belief that Drosophyllum, in situ, grows in alkaline (high pH) soils, is mistaken.

Just bought 2 calendars and a membership.:boogie:

Upgraded! Thank you sir.
Andrew

Back