What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best CP's for my climate?

So, I saved the Drosera binata from dying last week, now it's growing nicely...
I guess it's time to buy a new one...
So here's the deal, there's a plant expo in my town, BTW, I live in Veracruz, Mexico... Weather in the link's chart is wrong during March-June, it can be as high as 42 celsius in those infernal days of May :crap:
I can't remember all of the species he said he had in stock (and that he would put on sale tomorrow) but I recall: several Droseras (japonica, alicia, espatulata), Sarracenia and Nephentes...
Which ones to begin?
Oh, and one man has flytraps on sale... They're about 2 and a half inches across, with several traps and green as can be... I'm positive that they're not petri dish plants... However I've been recomended not to grow those here, the dude assures that giving them cold water is enough... Should I let go that idea or give it another try?

Lowland or Ultra-Lowland Nepenthes would do great for you in your climate outside or inside, but would need supplemental water during the dry season. Many South African Drosera would also do well, but would also need supplemental water during the dry season. They may suffer a bit during the hottest days in summer, but placing them in the shade and keeping them nice and wet they will be ok.

Here is a small list of South African dews and their care: http://www.growsundews.com/

Here is a chart that shows some Nepenthes and their preffered growing conditions (put together by a great member on TF): http://www.michaelkevinsmith.com/ne...titudinal-Distribution-Temperature-Chart.html

I would also look to see if anyone is selling Mexican Pinguicula, as those would be able to grow outside your home year round, and should need very little supplemental water except maybe on occasion.

This is a great website on Pinguicula: http://pinguicula.org/pages/pages_principales/content.html

I would stay away from anything needing a cold dormancy, example: Venus Fly Traps, Sarracenia. Your temperatures do not fall low enough to provide proper dormancy, so a fridge dormancy would be needed, but there are many other CP's that you can grow that do no need dormancy.

Good Luck!!

Lowland Nepenthes, Mexican Pinguicula, tuberous Drosera, Drosophyllum, Byblis, and some other Drosera. You have a lot to choose from that those of us in more Norther climates struggle to keep alive.

Ok! I'll keep it in mind... Thanks, I'll let you know what I bought in the end...

Mexican pings!

^Totally! You're in the perfect place for them...Mexico :D

Well...
Nothing... He brougth nothing, but kept insisting that Dionaeas will be alrigth with a piece of ice in the water tray...
And that there are Dionaeas and Muscipulas flytraps, as if they were separate genera...

Thats too bad seele1. Dionaea muscipula (genus, species) are definitely only one plant, and there is only 1 species of flytrap. I think you will find most people will agree ice cube in the water tray will not be enough for dormancy.

You really shouldn't have much trouble finding Pinguicula in your country as there are many that naturally live in Mexico.

I know there is one person on the CPUK forum from Mexico City and may be able to help you find some CP;s. I know that person grows Nepenthes. His forum name Tuuagso. Here is a link to his profile: http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showuser=2017

I would definitely capitalize on your ability to grow Mexican Pinguicula!

Yea as soon as I saw "Mexico" I was like.... Mexi-PINGS!
I would get a sethos since its a pretty easy one and it is one of the coolest looking ones. Not too rare or hard to find also.

Well... Bought Droseras and a Cephallotus in the end... Haven't found Ping's... In fact... Nobody seems to know them when I ask... People usually knows onle the flytrap and Nephentes...
Anyhow... I guess I'll wait for Spring... Probably they'll be easier to find then...

That's really weird...good luck with your plants and keep us updated!

Well theese are the ones I have... The pics are about a week old...

D. carbarup
I don't really see... Anything... LOL... Overexposed photo...
But in the center of the plants there's some sort of cotton-ish bud... Is it the growing stem or an inflorescence source?
Note... There's a flower bud on them by now...

D. filiformis
The longest leaf already dying... Many new shoots are unrolling in the base...
Question: are the drying leaves supposed to be cut off or left there?
NOTE: Old pic... I took the smaller one into a new pot, shoots were getting tangled...

D. nitidula
Some sprouts around it! Looking healthier...
...And crowded, there are many new tiny plants growing around them... Should I try to move them to a bigger pot?

D. burmanii
Has it's first victim! (by now they're more than 8)
Looks beautiful!
Lots of gooey stuff :D
4 new leaves growing in the center... I noticed a couple of days agor that there was a very small plant under the leaves of the pland... Re-potted it, but apparently it had been away from the sun for too long... Actually it only had a tiny green growing leaf when I changed it

Cephalotus follicularis
More than half it's pitchers have dried... Actually, since I was away the plant was in the water tray for about 6 days, until the water evaporated...
I corrected humidity already... It's now growing a new leaf and trap so I guess it's ok...

D. binata
Slowly becoming "binated"...

D. "carbarup" is likely in dormancy right now and the fuzz is normal. It's a winter grower but in the Northern hemisphere that means the summer.

You can trim the old leaves off the D. filiformis if you would like.

The nitidula is fine...pygmies are pretty used to being crowded like that...

Wish I could help with the Ceph but that's not my area of expertise.

You're going to need to get that Cephalotus out of that peat and put it into a better mix. I use 1 part peat, 1 part sand, 1 part perlite, 1 part horticultural charcoal and 1 part milled sphagnum. Also, you shouldn't keep it so wet.

You're going to need to get that Cephalotus out of that peat and put it into a better mix. I use 1 part peat, 1 part sand, 1 part perlite, 1 part horticultural charcoal and 1 part milled sphagnum. Also, you shouldn't keep it so wet.

...Define "sand" please... What type of sand? Just plain, normal sand? Beach sand, no wait... Too much salt...

I have peat...
I have perlite...
Even vermiculite...
Horticultural charcoal... :0o: dunno where to find that...
And it was of my understanding that peat moss and sphagnum were the same thing... What is it if not? ???

So, its about fiber size... Okey, I know they only sell peat moss... The thing with this materials is that you cant find them easily here... In fact the peat and perlite I have had to be sent from another state... Any other options?
As for silica... Like the one used for aquariums?

Back