What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone for animals from temporary vernal pools?

My gf convinced me that those were tadpoles. I thought those were salamanders! Might make one my new pet.Two of these pools are within 100 yards of my house. Several more around the property. I live in east Tennessee.
There is a pond with tons of weird milky masses that I will upload pic of later. From the deafening noise I'm sure those are frog egg sacks.

The external gills are a dead giveaway for sal larvae. They're carnivores so use a quality fish food or something protein-rich if you decide to keep one. There's a huge diversity of species in your area. Make sure you try to get some pictures when they neonate out :)

My gf convinced me that those were tadpoles. I thought those were salamanders! Might make one my new pet.Two of these pools are within 100 yards of my house. Several more around the property. I live in east Tennessee.
There is a pond with tons of weird milky masses that I will upload pic of later. From the deafening noise I'm sure those are frog egg sacks.

Yeah, the one you have a picture of is a salamander hatchling. Tadpoles don't have external gills like that.

The external gills are a dead giveaway for sal larvae. They're carnivores so use a quality fish food or something protein-rich if you decide to keep one. There's a huge diversity of species in your area. Make sure you try to get some pictures when they neonate out :)

Thanks for the info. I have Betta food. Will that work? They must be chomping on the fairy shrimp swimming around with them.

Betta food would probably work. I feed my PDF tadpoles New Life Spectrum saltwater fish food, but I'd imagine anything high in protein would be ok.

Not to criticize at all, because I used to catch frogs, etc., and keep them as pets when I was younger myself: but in most cases it's really best to leave wild animals in the wild, especially if you don't know exactly what they are, if they are a fragile population, or if you're not sure exactly how to care for them. Far too often they end up dead because you don't know how to care for them correctly. Enjoy them by observing them in the wild, or AT MOST catch it to observe it for a couple days in a tank, and then let it go again. Then go to your petstore and get a salamander there that has been bred for the pet trade, and that you can recieve good instructions on how to care for it. This is what I wish I had done in some instances in the past, when I killed a wild caught animal, and couldn't help but feel guilty for taking it out of its native home to die in a tank...

Vernal pool habitats are also not the most common, and in some cases may need all the help they can get to maintain their biodiversity and health.

Just my two cents, as a past 'offender' myself.

Edit: One last thought; A lot of reptiles and amphibians worldwide are threatened in the wild because of overcollection for the pet trade, and collection for personal pets. I'd just as soon not contribute to that problem...

Not sure how I missed this thread before.

I raise Triops from time to time. Just started some 4 days ago.
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?123411-Triops-Tank

TriopsRedFaceOn.jpg

triopsHand.jpg

@richjam
I hear what you are saying. I am fortunate I live in an area where these are very prolific.

Elgecko, those are awesome. Eggs seems to be easy to find but do you know of a good source besides the "kid kits" I see on the Internet?

Jcal, there are a couple guys in eBay that sell a number of species. Try there.

Jcal, there are a couple guys in eBay that sell a number of species. Try there.
I sell the Triops cancriformis - Beni-kabuto ebi albino on ebay.

I have several other species that I've never started yet.... and a tank of Triops australiensis- Aussie 'Green' I need to tear down and collect the eggs that has been sitting for a few months........

Youuuu! It's youuuuuuuu!

I'll have to buy some off of you some time. What's the trick to keeping them alive? Small kritter keeper? Small tank with an air bubbler undergravel filter? Outdoor pond? (prolly not, but I can hope)

I hatch them in mason jars 1/3 to half filled with distilled water.
Once they get a bit bigger I place them in a small kritter keeper.
Then at around 1/4" in size I move them to a 5 gallon tank with Marineland DJ50 Duetto Internal Filter (turn the adjustable flow rate down).

All my Triops came from Don (dadasis) who also sells on ebay.

Here's the species I have;
Triops australiensis- Aussie 'Green' - Have eggs - need to separate and dry.
Triops australiensis, gonochoric species - have not started.
Trioops australiensis - have not started.

Triops cancriformis - have not started.
Triops cancriformis - Beni-kabuto ebi albino - Have eggs for sale

Triops cousins, Lepidurus Cryptus - have not started.

** Triops granarius - Nothing hatched - have none

Triops longicaudatus - have not started.
Triops longicaudatus – “Black Beauties” - have not started.
Triops longicaudatus, gonochoric species - have not started.

Triops mauritanicus - have not started.

Triops newberryi - have not started.

**Lepidurus apus - can take 30 days to hatch, been around 45 nothing..... - have none

I can set up for 2 species, have more Triops cancriformis - Beni-kabuto ebi albino started now and might try the Triops mauritanicus next.

Way cool. Sounds like fun.

I'm gonna do another hatch. I just need to get some more yeast to feed the nauplii...

When all this snow melts I'll go looking for some vernal pool residents myself. But I like mine with a little backbone....................

Back