What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I crazy...?

jonnyq

Supporter
Good evening all, I was hoping I could receive a second opinion on this?

I just received a Nepenthes rafflesiana 'clone 99' in the mail a few days ago, and I'm concerned about the condition of the plant. It's not dead on arrival, but it seems pretty close to me...

(For scale, this is a 3" pot)

Here's what it looked like the day after I received it...
dryrafflesiana01.jpg

dryrafflesiana02.jpg

dryrafflesiana03.jpg

dryrafflesiana04.jpg

Now, I think it looks to be very moisture-stressed and in poor condition. The leaves feel dry and wilted to me... This is my first raff, but my understanding is that the leaves should be bright and verdant, no?

I ask for a second opinion mainly because I have not heard back from the person that I ordered this from... so I'm wondering if the plant is in actually better condition than I'm judging it to be...?

I've bagged it, given it a goodly watering and placed in good light to see if it turns around...

The sad thing is that I also got an epphipiata and faizaliana which were in good condition, so it wasn't a shipping issue. I think I was just sent a nearly-dead plant...?

yep, could have been because of shipping conditions. its still pretty cold in many parts of the country and raffie, being lowland, doesnt like that. the other two are relatively intermediate/highland so they can take cooler temps better. furthermore, raffie likes high humidity so it's double whammy: cold temps and low humidity. you putting it in a bag is a wise choice. keep the plant in LL temps and you should see recovery.

I would also cut the leaves in half to reduce water loss. Apparantly the root system was also damaged in addition to less than favorable conditions. Right now it is dessicated and needs all the moisture and warmth you can give it.

Thank you muchly for the advice! Leaves have been cut, lights are well on and plant is nestled back in its bag... Fingers crossed that I can bring it back from its critical condition... I'm half-tempted to cradle this plant like my baby boy to give it enough warmth! :D :D

Thanks for the input, much obliged!

Good luck - it doesn't actually look all THAT bad. As long as there's green, there's hope.

Keeping it bagged is a good idea...probably for a good two or three months.....When it recoveres, you'll know....raf is not a slow grower.

Sigh, sucks that happened to you. I know exactly what you're going through ;) I agree with scholaty. That's my out look with plants too. If there's green there's hope. It looks pretty aweful to me but I'm sure you'll take better care of it than what it's had. Good luck saving it. Would be great if it made a basal and just started over.

Please tell me you didn't pay money for that poor thing.

Whimgrinder, we should start a club. ;) Talk about testing our growing skills.

Thanks again, all... Well, it looks like it may be stabilizing... The plant doesn't seem to be crashing, so I'm taking that as a hopeful sign. Fingers remain crossed... :D

@scholaty - Scholaty! Good to see ya! Been a while!

@Thagirion - Thanks for the PM; glad to know that I wasn't alone in my experience :D On the bright side, I'm trying to take away from this experience what NOT to do when I start a business... :D

@ Whim - Yep. Yep, I did. I did indeed. :D

Wow I'm glad you'll be able to save it. My albos and my campanulata are still hanging in there and not doing anything. It's like their frozen. It may be a long recovery time for our plants.

Back