What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few of the utrics

i've had it since november, and ironically, NO undergrowth. weird aint it. i dont know what i did wrong since longifolia can survive pretty much in any condition it grows in. but yeah, no undergrowth. hahahaha. i just recently bought a new plug, and we'll see how it does.

ironic since the quelchii is a beast....

How are you growing it? I would try changing things up a bit... Maybe try a new soil mix. There are several clones out there with slightly different preferences.

keep um warm, bright and humid. Then it is a weed. The best i have seen it do has been in "petiolaris group" conditions. Then it was escaping form its pot and invading all of its neighbors.....

well i had it originally growing in peat and sand---switched it up to live LFS, just like the quelchii. in highland conditions. maybe that had something to do with it. but yeah---luckily it's a common and accessible plant. so im not too worried.

How are you growing it? I would try changing things up a bit... Maybe try a new soil mix. There are several clones out there with slightly different preferences.

There sure are! I was lucky to get the kind that loves to grow waterlogged at room temp.

Try growing it in LFS. But I grow mine in just peat/sand/perlite mixes.

Picture005-13.jpg
U. gibba

I had a tiny bit of this a month ago and they are growing surprisingly well in the fishtank, along with the Aldrovanda.

Last edited:
100_63001.jpg
Finally!

Picture003-11.jpg
U. reniformis

Last edited:
My reniformis was doing GREAT, but then it suddenly died back after the flower show. I guess it didn't like the change. It's alive, but just one little root.

Picture008-9.jpg

Picture009-8.jpg

This form looks unusual to me, looks most similar to the Durban SA form but there are differences.

Durban SA

Picture003-22.jpg

I love Utrics, but the only ones I don't kill are the aquatics.

Picture001-25.jpg
Aldrovanda & U. gibba

They are growing and branching out!

Picture006-21.jpg
U.bisquamata

Take care of this U.bisquamata, this is the more typical form vs U. 'Betty's Bay' that most growers now seek. We need to keep this one in active cultivation as well. Thanks for all the good photos! I am particularly impressed with your U. longifolia which always gave me problems. Contrary to most advice mine flowered best when given room to run and I think that the potbound vs free running to trigger flowering in any Utriicularia species depends on which species as well as many other contributing factors so for me, the jury remains out on that one/

This one was juust sitting at a south-facing window sill. I try to keep my utrics in a high water table.
Picture021-5.jpg

Picture013-3.jpg

Back