What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Word of the day

imprecate: verb- to curse.

Canada uses that spelling? I thought only Britan used that spelling...Interesting...

They also use that spelling when writing French, which makes for hilarious communications!

For all you junior linguists out there, you might be interested in reading, They Have a Word for It: A lighthearted lexicon of untranslatable words & phrases, which was recommended to me by an anthropology professor a few years back. Like the title says, it is full of words which are untranslatable in English, yet so succinct in their denotation that one wonders why we must fumble over ways to describe such ideas instead of adopting them.

Here's one I found by opening the book to a random page:

bettschwere (German): A state of consciousness too ponderous for anything but sleep.

and another:

razbliuto (Russian): The feeling a person has for someone he or she once loved but now does not.

http://www.amazon.com/They-Have-Wor...93358&sr=8-2&keywords=they+have+a+word+for+it

Exsibilation - the collective hisses of a disapproving audience.

Doric word of the day:

Quine: girl

Anatidaephobia is the fear of being watched by a duck!

I'd love to see a video of exposure therapy being done on someone who suffers from this.

That one cracked me up! Here's my phobia... arachibutyrophobia- fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth. Now that's scary!

I actually used to suffer from that.

Gimmie my peanut butter spoon. Now.

Albedo:
- noun, pl. -dos.
1. Astronomy. The ratio of the light reflected by a planet or satellite to that received by it.
2. Meteorology. Such a ratio for any part of the earth's surface or atmosphere.
3. The white, inner rind of a citrus fruit.

(For this word I will admit to garnering a little assistance from my Dictionary.com app for more succinct definitions than I can provide.)

Bonus word. I've been thinking about these all day today, and I would like to invite those interested to ponder fenestrations:

- noun
the design and disposition of windows and other exterior openings of a building.
Furniture. an ornamental motif having the form of a blind arcade or arch, as in medieval cabinetwork.
Medical, Surg.
1. a perforation in a structure.
2. an operation to effect such an opening.
3. Also called fenestration operation, Lempert operation. the creation of an artificial opening into the labyrinth of the ear to restore hearing loss from otosclerosis.
Origin: 1840–50; < L fenestrāt(us) (see fenestrated) + -ion

Sorry. That one was pretty long, but it is all 100% interesting. ;)

Definition 4, Katie style: openings or windows. Botany: Lightly colored or white translucent patches on a leaf or flower structure to allow light to pass. :mwahaha: :spidersmile:

Philly slang: john- can be used to replace any noun
ex: hey, steve, hand me that john right next to that john.

Schadenfreude:
The pleasure you get seeing the misfortunes of others. :lol:

to go along with Lil's latest post:

Defenestration: the act of throwing someone through a window! :awesome:

Apropos to the day; Caturday
20130223-092415.jpg

Today's seems quite appropriate for me.

Whipsaw: verb. To subject to two opposing forces at the same time.

Bonus nonsense word: "noops". A contraction I coined, bred between "nope" and "oops".

Haha very funny words!!

This is not one I came up with, but my teacher has had several rants of how this word should be coined, so I thought I'd share it.
"hir" , a mix between he and her. I still don't understand the plural representation of this word my teacher was aiming at. :lol:

BTW, "noops" is said with a rising inflection, indicating surpirse at the discovery of a forgotten task.

On the theme of words that should exist: If "typo" is an abbreviation for a typographical error, then there should also be "grammo" and "puncco" for grammatical and punctuation errors. I'm still thinking of a good one for syntax errors. "Syncco", perhaps.

Want another one?

Wont: in short, a natural habit. Example: It is the jaguar's wont to wedge it's meal in a tree. Pronounced with a short O, like "want".

Corn: the embodiment of all that is and is not. Also interpreted as what awaits at the gates of destiny.

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious: what just happened in the post above

Pontificate: to speak in a pompous or dogmatic manner: Did he pontificate about the responsibilities of a good citizen?

Pontiff: a guy in a huge hat who pontificates!

Back