What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Word of the day

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
Every so often I hear or read a new word that sets me thinking all day. Rather than keep them to ourselves, I made a spot where we can share these mind ticklers, and perhaps lighten everyone's day.

Feel free to share! Post something you found, along with a brief definition. Don't be a stinkpot and post links to computer- generated words of the Day, we're looking for inspiration, not a dictionary set to random. :awesome:

Here is a new favorite I learned from Kulamauiman the other day. I hope to smell it soon!

Petrichor: the smell of rain on dry ground.

Talibangelist: a right-wing Christian shill with an internet presence, frequently associated with so called "pro family" groups that rarely help real families at all, but will make up virtually anything to get people to donate money to promote narrow interpretations of scripture and repress progressive political agendas.

I encountered this word a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a useful term to add to my vocabulary :)

Here is a new favorite I learned from Kulamauiman the other day. I hope to smell it soon!

Petrichor: the smell of rain on dry ground.

I learned that one from Doctor Who!!

Hokie, you're right! I did't make that connection, and that's an episode I saw recently, too. I just thought he was making something up, which is quite possible with that guy. ;)

Ok, try this one:

Fiat: a royal decree. (Has nothing to do with FIAT, AKA Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino, maker of Italian cars, battleships and fighter planes.)

Fruitrients : The vitamins and nutrients found in fruits of all kinds. (yes, I totally made this one up, it just came to mind the other day when discussing the nutritional benefit of fruit)

Chirugeon:
Archaic french term for "surgeon". A Chirugeon provides high-quality medical care, although his patients may see him as a butcher rather than a healer Chirugeons - or surgeons - are healers who use their hands to let blood, set bones, extract teeth, lance boils, cut out gout and burn visible diseases from the skin. They are very "hands-on", "kill or cure" medical practitioners Some may make sick individuals take a course of ice cold baths to force the malady from the body. The profession of chirugeon is quite distinct from the more intellectually-based physicians and doctors, because their remedies are usually entirely practical and will not involve potions or offerings to the Gods. A chirugeon may cause more pain to the patient than any ailment, but they have a surprising degree of success in surgical procedures.

I like Lil Stinkpot's "mind tickler" never heard that before

Reference Talibangelist; see the Southpark episode with Sally Struthers as a Jaba the Hutt character. New word: optigoo, the stuff that collects in the corner of your eye.

here's a good one:
floccinaucinihilipilification- The action or habit of estimating something as worthless.

It comes for the latin words: flocci, nauci, nihili, pili--they all mean "at little value".

It is a real word! look it up!

Bazinga: A catchphrase used by "Sheldon" in a show called the Big Bang Theory.

:awesome:

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis- Last I knew, this was the longest REAL word in the English language (yes, it's a real word). In short form, it's the more familiar 'Silicosis", a lung disease caused by inhaling significant amounts of silica dust; something we should be familiar with and careful of in a hobby where we routinely work with silica sand, perlite, and other mineral soil addatives (it's always a good idea to wear a fine particulate mask when working with these materials ;) )

Edit:Not a very useful word to remember though... probably better to just remember 'silicosis', lol

That all depends on your perception of what a "real" word is. I personally go by the by whether the word is in the New Oxford English Dictionary.

If you love science so much, maybe you should try getting the name of the protein right next time.

It's called Titin not Titan...

Back