What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wikipedia articles on Nepenthes

I am sure most of you have heard of Wikipedia before.  It is an international, collaborative effort to produce a high quality and free encyclopedia.  It's a great educational tool and used by millions every day.

Now onto the main point.. Thanks to the work of several members, there is now an article on almost every known Nepenthes species. Understandably, the majority of these are only "stubs" at the moment and do not contain much information.  If anyone wants to contribute by expanding articles then please go right ahead, registration is not even required! There is also a specific WikiProject which deals with all carnivorous plants, not just Nepenthes.

What is most needed at the moment are some good photographs.  Less than 1 in 5 articles currently have a representative picture.  I have already submitted my photos from the trip to Borneo.  If more members join in then we could create the most expansive online treatment of the genus, no doubt about it.

Let me know what you guys think. =)

Thanks,
Nep_grower.

That is pretty awesome. I already added something for N. faizaliana.
smile.gif

-Ben

Hello

I would love to help out; I have never added anything before. I could add photos of most the species how would I go about doing that.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Hi Jeremiah,

Great to have you onboard!

To upload photos you first have to register.  Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/w....=signup

Then all you have to do is click here and upload away: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Upload

To insert a picture into an article:

1. Copy the name of the picture with its file extension (e.g. Nepenthes rajah.png)
2. Go to the relevant article and click on "edit this page" at the top
3. On the fifth line down it will say "| image ="
4. Paste the name of the pic after this (e.g. | image = Nepenthes rajah.png)
5. Click "Save page"

Is there a size requirement for photos, or does it resize itself? All my photos are 640x480 which seems too large for the format.

Capslock

They are automatically resized in the "taxobox". The photos can be as large as you want!

thanks for your help, how would I put multiple images of the same plant.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

To add other pictures use this format:

[[Image:Name.extension|thumb|left|150px|Description]]

Place the above wherever you want it to appear in the article.  Play around with it in preview to see how it will look.

Replace "Name.extension" and "Description" as appropriate. Photos do not have to be resized to exactly 150 px, but I find this to be a reasonable resolution. If you want the picture to appear on the right, replace "left" with "right".

Slightly unrelated, but I noticed that you hadn't tagged two of your pics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Nepenthes_inermis.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:N_campanulata5.jpg

These need to be tagged appropriately otherwise they will be deleted within a week.

Anyway, great contributions.  Keep up the good work!

Great thanks again.

About the tag how do I tag them after I upload them? lol sorry for all the questions.

-Jeremiah-

Add {{NoRightsReserved}} to the images' pages.

Ok now we have photos up of most Nepenthes, I know some of them are not great but they are still better then nothing. Now we just need some one to write about them.

-Jeremiah-

Very interesting.
Sometimes those wiki articles are written by inexperienced people. It is good to know that we have experienced people writing these articles instead of people with no knowledge of the plants.

i saw somthing about N. mollis. i have never heard of this species before! i know that it probably not commercially availiable but does anybody grow it? it says pitchers are unknown so does that mean nobody knows what they look like? crazy o_O
alex

N. mollis is known only from a dried herbarium specimen with no pitchers, I think. IIRC it's similar to hurrelliana, and from the same area.
Cheers,
T.

Really good photos, Jeremiah!  The articles certainly look much better overall now.

Having said this, there are still many gaps that could easily be filled in, e.g. N. bellii, distillatoria, dubia, faizaliana, gracillima, hurrelliana, insignis, lamii, lavicola, macrovulgaris, madagascariensis, merrilliana, mirabilis, northiana, ovata, petiolata, platychila, ramispina, rhombicaulis, rigidifolia, rowanae, spectabilis, vieillardii, vogelii, etc, etc.

If you have any of the above species (or any others without an image) please consider uploading a photo or two!

Thanks,
Nep_grower.

Yeah, I could add…N. bellii, distillatoria, dubia, faizaliana, insignis, lavicola, macrovulgaris, madagascariensis, merrilliana, mirabilis, northiana, ovata, petiolata, platychila, ramispina, spectabilis, vogelii but they all seem to small or just not that great looking but if no one else put those photos up I will in a week or two.

-Jeremiah-

Back