What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
I got a few new plants from trades an eBay. They came bare root and I potted them up. Within a day, they wilted. They were well watered, not drenching, not dry. They had the perfect amount of water in the medium. It is mostly sphagnum with some perlite mixed in. My conditions are fine, all 25 (or around there) other neps are doing well. Temperature is about 70F during the day with a max of 80F for like 20 or 30 minutes and about 50F at night. It is about 90% humidity at night, 60-70% during most of the day and 50% when in the sun, but quickly climbs back up when out of the sun.

Just curious why they may be sulking... One thought I had was I just took them out of the box and put them in the greenhouse with no light acclimation, but it was on cloudy days when I received these, unboxed them and potted them.

One that is sulking came with another and it has no issues. It has been sulking for maybe a week or more. The other I got from eBay and has been sulking for a few days. One is a N. ventricosa x aristolochioides and the one from eBay is a N. ventricosa x talangensis... Both have ventricosa in them, could that be anything?

How long do plants usually sulk for and look wilty? How can I help them get back to normal?

Bag em and give em more water? Be prepared to deal with rot if you do this.

Bag em and give em more water? Be prepared to deal with rot if you do this.

More water? Is that was causes sulking, lack of water? ???

Kinda big, but I do have two bags that may fit... ???

I'm wondering if they were exposed to temp extremes at all during shipping? May have something to do with it anyway. Have you been able to check the roots on any of the wilty plants? If any are suffering from rot or the like that would be my next guess.

They arrived looking pretty healthy... I doubt it is root rot. The ventricosa x spectabilis was sulking just 12 hours after being potted.

I always keep newly arrived plants really wet. I think they have trouble absorbing water because the rootlets are torn off when they are unpotted... So I give them extra help. But this may be terrible advice. I only have like, twenty neps...

I always keep newly arrived plants really wet. I think they have trouble absorbing water because the rootlets are torn off when they are unpotted... So I give them extra help. But this may be terrible advice. I only have like, twenty neps...

So drench them, or would this worsen it?

Anyone positive on what I should do?

Hard to be positive Pine but what Peat is saying makes great sense. By bagging them you will ease unnecessary transpiration by quite alot. As far as extra wet pot media, I dunno.

i'm relatively new to this, but i typically soak my bare rooted plants in a superthrive solution before potting them up. same thing each time i re-pot a plant. with one fluke exception, my plants have kicked into gear almost instantly.

Not a bad idea Jawn. I'm a bit of a superthrive fan myself, but haven't tried on any of my CP's yet. Do you have a dosing recomendation on the soak solution?

i'm relatively new to this, but i typically soak my bare rooted plants in a superthrive solution before potting them up. same thing each time i re-pot a plant. with one fluke exception, my plants have kicked into gear almost instantly.

Well too late for that, but I may try that next time.

Anyone know what could cause this? Is it likely my plants will bounce back? Is there a chance they would die? :(

No, don't drench them. Obviously make sure the medium is plenty moist to slightly on the wet side, but well drained. I agree that you should bag them, as well as make sure they are in bright light, but perhaps not as much as your other plants. Keep them in moderate conditions with no extemes in light, temperature, or low humidity. They are just mainly water stressed and need time to regrow any damaged root tips and grow a thicker waxy cuticle on their leaves (which protects the plant from losing as much water through the leaves). It will probably take up to several weeks for them to begin to recover. You can cut a small hole in the corner of the bags for a little ventiliation, and as they begin to improve make the hole wider over a period of weeks to allow the plants to slowly acclimate to lower humidity before you remove the bag.

No, don't drench them. Obviously make sure the medium is plenty moist to slightly on the wet side, but well drained. I agree that you should bag them, as well as make sure they are in bright light, but perhaps not as much as your other plants. Keep them in moderate conditions with no extemes in light, temperature, or low humidity. They are just mainly water stressed and need time to regrow any damaged root tips and grow a thicker waxy cuticle on their leaves (which protects the plant from losing as much water through the leaves). It will probably take up to several weeks for them to begin to recover. You can cut a small hole in the corner of the bags for a little ventiliation, and as they begin to improve make the hole wider over a period of weeks to allow the plants to slowly acclimate to lower humidity before you remove the bag.

Thank you! Very good ideas, I'll definitely start that process tomorrow. Thanks! :0

So drench them, or would this worsen it?

Anyone positive on what I should do?

I would keep it slighty more wet than your other neps, but you have to be careful not to CAUSE root rot by keeping the soil dripping wet. Like Peat, I also keep newly potted plants a bit wetter than usual to help them along, as well as cuttings. Just saying you have to be a little careful, especially if it already has roots.

Edit: Also, pics might be helpful

Not a bad idea Jawn. I'm a bit of a superthrive fan myself, but haven't tried on any of my CP's yet. Do you have a dosing recomendation on the soak solution?

i typically do what the savage garden recommends. 10 drops per gallon, roughly 20-30 minutes. i recently did this on some plants that already had full size pitchers on them. as i removed it from the solution, i kept the pitchers full to the brim with the superthrive solution. i wasn't sure if that would be good or bad, but honestly it kicked into gear even faster than normal.

ive received bare root plants and forgot to do the superthrive soak. when i realized, i unpotted them, soaked them, then repotted them into the same media. again, super great results. superthrive is a really good product imo. i soak all my cuttings in it too.

Dont put them in bright light while they are sulking trust me i did that once and the plants rotted up within days. High humidity with lower light is the key

Just make sure they're bagged up until they look ok. Then, start cutting away at the bags a bit every week or so to let them adapt. Sometimes new arrivals just need to adapt.

Dont put them in bright light while they are sulking trust me i did that once and the plants rotted up within days. High humidity with lower light is the key

"bright light" and "low light" are subjective terms. But you are right, use lower light than your other plants. I would say bright shade to dappled light only.

Ugh, so if I put the bags on them, when the GH is in the sun, it will roast them. It doesn't raise the humidity, it lowers it... I guess it only works in terrariums and places that are under lights and not sunlight. -_-

Some of the lower leaves are turning yellow. Both have basals that look okay, the growth tips are firm... IDK. They're pissing me off, especially the ventricosa x spectabilis because I spent like thirty freaking dollars on it. :censor:

Back