What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When to fertilise seedlings?

Title says it all. Got a pod's worth of seedlings which have sprouted (mother is N. jacquelineae), seeing mostly cotyledons so far although a couple are starting to develop their new leaves.

I've got a urea free orchid fertiliser that I've been using on my neps with success so far, when should I start giving it to the seedlings and at what strength?

I usually start fertilizing Nepenthes before they've even sprouted. After sowing, I generally water them in with a misting of Maxsea at a teaspoon per gallon. After they germinate, they get a monthly dose just like the larger plants.

I've always started fertilizing as soon as they start growing their first little proto pitchers using the same fertilizer (sometimes a 30/10/10 urea free orchid fert or maxsea 16/16/16) and concentration (usually a 1/4 of the label suggestion) I do for my larger established plants. I've always had good results with this regimen.

I usually start fertilizing Nepenthes before they've even sprouted. After sowing, I generally water them in with a misting of Maxsea at a teaspoon per gallon. After they germinate, they get a monthly dose just like the larger plants.

Wow, I'm going to have to try this on the next batch of seeds I come across, thanks!

As a rule of thumb, I generally wait until about the second set of true leaves -- past the cotyledon stage; and I've never found the application of fertilizer before germination to be effective. Under humid conditions, it can all become an anaerobic or algal mess far too readily . . .

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I suppose it's good that I've got the seedlings in more than one container. Think I'll try fertilising one batch now, then another when they've grown more, see how it goes.

Back