What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What species is this?

When I was in NJ a few years back, looking at the many greenhouses of Atlock Farms, I was walking around with the guy who made it, something-or-other Atlock. I saw some un-potted orchids just laying around, and said, "Hey, are you gonna pot those guys up? They might die." And he said, "How about you take one? I'm sure you'd take better care of it than me." So, I got one, and took it home and potted it up into a 3 inch pot with some peat, perlite, orchid park, and charcoal, and it has been growing new shoots for me, but never any taller. I would like to know what species this is, and what conditions I should grow it in.

orchid1web.jpg

orchid2web.jpg

I recently unpotted it, and sorta left it that way, just as something-or-other Atlock had, so that's why it kinda looks lousy.

-Ben

By looking at the orchid grow guide, I assume it is a type of Cattelya.

-Ben

I'm not from the US, but here in tropical Singapore, those looks suspiciously like Dendrobium. I might be totally wrong, anyway. Just my 1/2 cents.:)

Dendrobiums are a used in a big way here in Southeast Asia in the cut-flower industry. Perhaps like Cattelyas and Cymbidiums in the States. There are many hybrids and varieties around and this makes naming them quite challenging, especially without flowers. Perhaps your plant can be grown in a lowland Nepenthes condition, i.e. hot and humid!
biggrin.gif

It looks like a Mini Den or Den/Phal Mix. I wouldnt use peat in the mix. Not enough air flow. I have mine in straight sphag, but a bark mix would do fine too. Strong light. I can't remember if I had mine in full sun or not. Many Dens can take full sun if acclimated to it. The flowers on mine are pink to purple and pretty long lasting. It will flower from the tops of the canes. Mine goes dry before I water again most of the time so she will do fine if you forget a day or two past dryness because of the Pbulbs. If you have any more questions post it here and I will try to check back. Good luck.

There are no Dendrobium-Phalaenopsis mixes, but there are Phalaenopsis type Dendrobiums. They are 100% Dendrobium, with flowers that look a bit like a Phalaenopsis. They're supposed to be easy, but I've never had any success with them. But I don't think that plant is one. They tend to have taller, multi-leaf canes, like in Ben's illustration. Dendrobium species range from hot to cold habitats and some (probably most) won't survive lowland Nep conditions. But the Phalaenopsis type Dendrobiums might enjoy it.

If I were you I would pot the guy up in some moss and give it plenty of light. Mine gets almost full sun. Temps no lower than 60 and since mine is in the sun it gets pretty warm. When summer gets here I will have to water things atleast every other day. Especualy the things I keep in the sun or almost full sun. Goodluck. I find mine to be pretty easy. Its the species that I have heard needed a winter rest. If it is reluctant to bloom this year I would try a winter rest on it. in the winter month cut back water and fert until you start to see ne growth. Then resume feeding and watering as normal. During the rest you would want to just water the plant ro reduce bulb shrinkage.

Should I have used a terra-cotta or plastic pot?

-Ben

Sorry its so long, but its your choice. Plastic doesn't dry out as fast since it doesn't transpire like teracotta does. It doesn't matter to the plant really. Atleast not that one because its not impairative it is bone dry before rewatering. There are a few species that do better in something that dries faster, but you should be fine with plastic for this one if you want.

I have almost no orchids in plastic because my orchids spend the summer outside and they have to be able to tolerate the occasional rainy week.  A plastic pot can be a place for roots to die when the weather stays wet.  Another problem is that an orchid in a plastic pot of bark is top-heavy and incompatible with a good gust of wind.  But most orchids can be grown in almost anything if conditions are properly controlled.  Moss soaks up water like a sponge and I always found orchids grown in sphagnum had a zone of dead roots in the middle of the pot.  And the stuff breaks down quickly and orchids in it need to be repotted more frequently than I want to be repotting.  It doesn't work for me, but it's great for people have the right conditions.

Thats it Bruce.  
smile.gif
 You hit the nail on the head.  People need to experiment and find what works for them.  I used to grow in alot of sphag, but I have been moving away from it lately.  I find that it doesn't break down that bad for me, but it compacts really easy.  With it being compacted it doesn't hold water as well. I guess that may be a sign of breaking down I guess. I have a few plants in it that need to be repotted, but they are not suffering from being in it now though even thought its compacted. My GH just drys out really fast at the moment.  Now you say you find a dead spot of roots in the center.  I don't have that to often unless its a newly aquired plant.  My plants here in GA even during winter need to be watered about every 3 days.  Summer days I can water once a day on some days.  Plastic pots are topheave with a healthy orchid on top so I stick the pot into a clay pot or something else to keep it sturdy if I am growing in plastic.  Even my plastic pots dry pretty fast here in GA.  So you kt the nail on the head.  Its great for people who have the right conditions.

Back