What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are the categories of moving, "Sensitive Plants" that aren't carnivorous?

What are the categories of moving, "Sensitive Plants" that aren't carnivorous?

What are the categories of sensitive, moving plants that you know of, besides the carnivorous ones?

They are neat because they are animal-like.

I had some small, seedling sensitive plants that are native to the Northeast USA and which I grew from seed. They were neat, but it was hard to germinate them. They were like Mimosa Pudica except that they did not have prickers. One variety was Desmanthus Illinoensis, or the Illinois Bundleflower.

The neatest moving plant is the Dancing Plant, or Telegraph Plant, Codariocalyx motorius, which grows in Thailand:

tumblr_n9dt0qzKxt1sijfb9o1_r7_400.gif

There is a cactus that throws its spines, but I don't think that would be a good houseplant.

Lotuses open and close at sunrise and sunset., and there must be other ones that do too.

Are there varieties of the Australian Stylidium, with its moving flower, that don't kill creatures?

What about sunflowers (Helianthus)? Lol

Last edited:
A fair few cacti open and close their flowers around midnight (for a couple times per flower), dragon fruit are a great example, huge flowers.

otherwise Socratea exorrhiza, I am not convinced it walks, but I read that it can auto correct itself if it is knocked over.

Melinis minutiflora is another "false carn" (although it does not move as you request), it makes a thick coat on the leaves (like molasses) that often traps insects for no apparent reason, similar to byblis as it can't move, their are fields of it here in Au.

Their are also a few plants (like sunflower) that can follow the sun.

What is this trowing cacti, I need one!!!!

Just look up thigomotropism. The other tropisms are pretty interesting too. Find a time lapse of Dodder or Morning glories.

Also, Darwin's publications and letters give a neat insight into moving plants because he was absolutely fascinated by them.

Last edited:
Water Lilies open and close their blooms daily, some being open during the day with others opening at night. Then there are the plants such as Impatiens whose seed pods open explosively upon being touched.

Back