What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT wintering question, very small cupped traps

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Earlier this year I bought and planted a cupped trap VFT in the large bog. It died back and due to various health reasons the bogs have been slightly neglected, I just spent some time cleaning them out and found a small grouping of VFT's clumping less than 2" x 2" near where the cupped traps had been. Normally I leave the VFTs out all winter and they survive just fine, coastal zone 7. I was wondering though, considering their size, if I should pot up and take these in for the winter and skip dormancy for a year.
Thoughts?
Sorry for the cell phone quality pic.

20151006_151400.jpg

Ive left mine outside with no issues as long as the soil doesnt freeze and dry out at the same time. I dont think it would harm them as long as they have their own roots on their rhizomes to separate them from the mother plant. At a small size it shouldn't be to bad to skip dormancy this once but u may want to snip off any flower stocks when they emerge because the plant may be weak by skipping dormancy but i guess its based on the plants overall health im my expirience. Goodluck hope i helped but I'm sure others will chime in to help and give good advice :)

Leave them but mulch them good.

On a side note I just finished bagging my 11 VFT pots and in the fridge they went for the year. Can't believe the season is over already.

I would feel safe skipping dormancy with the brand new pups, but for the larger mother plant in the middle I would consider a fridge dormancy if you're concerned it may be too weak to survive an outdoor, mulched dormancy.

Im Getting ready to seal up the Windows on my sunporch greenhouse and leave my more established VFTs out their this winter as long as i got good control of the temps not falling below 30°F or so. The smaller plants and seedlings I've made the decision to skip dormancy to have them get some growth in them to DORM them next year instead. Id rather not Risk the youngings for they are much to young to survive coming back next year...but maybe that's just me being a worrying mother over them lol. Anyone think its a good time to take some leaf pullings? Or should i wait till next summer/spring?

Never skip dormancy for any reason. I've spoken with an expert grower and seller and he says plants that go through dormancy will always be healthier and outperform those that skip it.

That point aside, they are tough plants and I wouldn't worry unless your in like zone 4-5.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Back