What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update on N. ventrata Rooted Cutting

fdfederation

Confused Magikarp
I received this in a giveaway in November and finally, it has produced its first pitcher in my care. I figured I'd let the generous giver know what happened. My camera has poor picture quality and the pitcher isn't that great, but this is my first Nepenthes and I'm very happy it hasn't died. It has also lost two leaves and made one leaf.

Ventrata.jpg

VentrataPitcher.jpg

Hey it's a start! :)

My first one was a N. Ventrata cutting given to me by my hippie uncle about a dozen years ago. When I saw that first pitcher tendril develop and open and expand in my terrarium it was all over, from then on Neps were the kinda plants I wanted to grow!

looks like you got it sorted,upwards and onwards,let the addiction begin

Congrats ! It looks very healthy

Also, don't worry too much about loosing lower leaves on new Nepenthes, it's very common for the lower (older) leaves to yellow or redden or get crispy and die off. They are just used to their old growing conditions and not the new conditions at your place. Death of the growing point leaves is cause for concern, but yours looks perfectly fine. Sometimes Neps can take a very long time to settle in and begin growing and pitchering normally.

My N. gracillima for instance is in the most easy growing conditions for a Highland (cool growing) plant possible and it has still taken about 6-7 months before I'll finally get to see it's first pitcher pop open in a couple more weeks it came with lots of leaves but no pitchers. It's not even gonna be a big pitcher, just about an inch or so but it's exciting just the same - I've waited so long to see what it looks like!

Back