What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U. humboldtii seed nearly free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Okay, so for those that are not on the listserv or ICPS forum you may have missed Barry's give away of some of these a month or so ago.

Well round 2 is here and there are going to be something around ~5000 seed if my math is correct.

So, here is the deal. $3 for shipping per batch of seed (~25-30/batch). Email me: asplundii (at) gmail (dot) com. If you want in on this deal (if you emailed me earlier about these please do not repeat email me, thanks.) Please include your mailing address in the email. I will reply with the address to send shipping to.

When I post that there are no more left then that is it and done so please do not ask for more after that point. I can not imagine I am going to get 200+ interested parties but who knows.

Let the madness begin

Pyro,
will these do well in lowland (hot) or lower humidity conditions?
Thanks.

I would like in on this deal too Travis please. Emailing you now.

Do they really germinate as fast as the time laps photography shows that I saw on the photo finder page?

partay! im in on this! email you later!

In The Savage Garden it says "The seed, when released, must immediately be sowed in water or they wil dry out and die. Within twenty-four hours the seedlings germinate as tiny, star-shaped plantlet that grows rapidly"

If they need to be sown immediately, how do they survive the shipping process? (Or is Peter exaggerating the imperativeness of this)

If they need to be sown immediately, how do they survive the shipping process? (Or is Peter exaggerating the imperativeness of this)

That's an important piece of information to know.

If stored properly they can be stabilized for a while. Barry ships them to me in a manner that keeps them from getting desiccated and I re-ship them in small vials with a damp plug to keep them happy. Occasionally some germinate along the way but as long as they do not dry out they are still viable.

So, Peter is not exaggerating per say but if you know what you are doing you can get around the odd quirks of the seeds behavior.

If it reassures you any I have a vial of seed from the last batch (almost a month ago now) and they are still perfectly viable and only 1 has germinated in the vial.

In The Savage Garden it says "The seed, when released, must immediately be sowed in water or they wil dry out and die. Within twenty-four hours the seedlings germinate as tiny, star-shaped plantlet that grows rapidly"

one thing to keep in mind.....while The Savage Garden is a great book it isnt nessisarily 100% accurate in all cases......also it was published in 1998 so there is another 10 years of work with these plants since it was written....even in the 4 and a half years ive been in the hobby ive seen alot of change....

Just like medicine everything is always evolving!!!

If stored properly they can be stabilized for a while. Barry ships them to me in a manner that keeps them from getting desiccated and I re-ship them in small vials with a damp plug to keep them happy. Occasionally some germinate along the way but as long as they do not dry out they are still viable.

So, Peter is not exaggerating per say but if you know what you are doing you can get around the odd quirks of the seeds behavior.

If it reassures you any I have a vial of seed from the last batch (almost a month ago now) and they are still perfectly viable and only 1 has germinated in the vial.
Cool, thanks for the reply.
Definitely makes sense that some creative mind would find a way to get around the quirks of the species. The human mind truly is a wonder.:crazy:

Okay, I have something like 75 interested parties so for the time being I am putting a break on this, at least until I have the seed in hand and can confirm I have enough available. So, please hold on emailing me until I drop another reply here saying "yeah" or "nay" on further availability.

Thanks

Just to give a visual here is that tube of seed I have had waiting for a month now. As you can see the seed is alive and well

P5010001.jpg

Alright, when all is said and done I have 9 portions of seed remaining.

So if anyone is still interested then shoot me an email.

Once they are gone I will post saying so.

Arrived in great shape - Thanks, Steve

Okay, they are all gone so please no more requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back