What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tropical aquatic utric

Hi, my Prof for Aquatic and wetlands plants was noting to me in class the other day he could never keep an example of a Utric alive because they try to go dorment and die on him.  Is there a tropical species that does not go dorment that has real ovious blatters and diagnostic features that doesn't need an insain amount of growing space?  If so, if anyone happens to have an extra chunk of one they would be willing to send me for propigation that would be really cool.  I'm able to take care of the new temerate ones he gave me from the ones he collected this summer, but he just doesn't have the time or means to do so himself and I would love to be able to give him one he could keep in his fishtank of examples.  Most of the plant in there are already tropical relatives of the local ones so a tropical Utric should fit right in.

I gave him a little D. adela (sp? been too long) for his Drosera example and he was thrilled, lol
smile.gif

Anyhow, thanks for the info and/or veggitative sample.

-Darcie

P.S. Let me know and I can P.M. you and address and send some shipping money.

Utricularia gibba can survive nearly every climate.

How do U. stygia & macrohyza do?

Though temperate, I've had very good luck growing U. purpurea, U. gibba, U. aurea, and U. macrorhiza all year round.. I think the trick is to make sure they get good illumintaion for over 12 hours a day, and that the temp of their tank never dips below 20 Celsius. Ultimately, I think it should be between 25 and 30 degrees for best results.

BTW, I've noticed that my macrorhiza will produce turions if the water quality degrades too much, even if the temp and lighting is fine.

Good luck!

Drosera, not to hijack Darcies topic, but I keep my aquatic Utrics outside (Southeast Pennsylvania). How low of a temp can they take?

U. inflata is pretty indestructible, but in poor conditions (probably like a warm fishtank) it can look pretty weedy and doesn't grow many traps. Both grows and dies off very quickly at the other end. I find this one is much better kept outside, where it fills the tank and flowers every year.

If you are not committed to an aquatic, U. dichotoma is both easy to grow and has nice large traps. Actually, having said that, this species grows very well as a submerged aquatic, if you submerge its container (once it's established).

Now that it's growing, I don't think I could kill my U.gibba if I tried.
smile.gif

Hey jimscott,

You didn't mention what species of aquatics you have, but the ones I've kept tend to form turions at 18-20 deg. Celsius. If your water doesn't freeze, you can leave the turions in the pond, but if it does, then I recommend to bring them inside in the fridge for safety.

Note though, that I have had problems trying to grow U. intermedia throughout the winter, and have always had to resort to keeping their turions in the fridge. They seem much more dependant on having seasonal cycles than the others I've kept.

When in doubt, allow the plants to form turions. Then you can always take the left over plant material and see if it can tolerate indoor temps during the winter.

Take care!

Drosera, I have macrohyza & stygia.

Back