What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tie Dye gallery

I thought I'd start a thread on Tie Dyeing that I could update every so often as I learn new folds and come up with interesting designs.

I'll start out with a quick explanation for anyone interested in the process.

I am using Procion MX Fabric Reactive cold water dyes. I mix the dyes with a $13 blender I got a walmart. Using the blender ensures the dye is very well mixed and totally eliminates the need for the slightly toxic Urea pellets (who's only function is to help the dye dissolve). This dye will only dye cotton and other organics (like skin) it won't dye rayon, polyester or nylon. Thread on mass production tee shirts are not made with cotton thread so it always comes out gleaming white when you rinse out your shirts. This fact also makes it possible to tie dye white tee shirts with pictures screen printed on it - the dye won't stick to the ink at all.

I had bought all sorts of chemicals and stuff (urea, aglinate, etc) but when it comes down to it I actually am only using Synthrapol detergent as a prewash to remove "sizing" on new shirts. Any basic liquid detergent is said to be fine as long as it doesn't have extra stuff in it to add fragrance, bounce, etc... I will be buying cheap generic detergent when I run out of this stuff! And Soda Ash Dye Fixer as presoak, it's basically the same as PH UP for aquariums - it makes the soaking water super high PH. You use 1 cup of soda ash to 1 gallon of hot water (hot water helps it dissolve).

Here's a shirt soaking in Soda Ash Dye Fixer, all you do is let it sit for 5-10 mins to make sure all the fibers are permeated:
sodasoak.jpg

Next you have to wring out the excess water as best you can. You want the shirt moist/damp but not sopping. Once wrung out you flatten it and start doing your folds, ties, etc.

Here is a spiral getting started:
spiraltwist.jpg

Keep twisting and flatting until you get this:
spiral.jpg

Once twisted it must be wrapped with rubber bands or thread. Thread ties up much tighter and gives more white, rubber bands are usually looser and more ink seeps through. Here are three styles of twists and ties.

ties.jpg

To dye the shirts I lay them on some metal shelving for closets they sell at Home Depot the excess ink doesn't pool under the shirts but drips down in the big rubbermaid. Ink wipes off the shelf with a spritz of water. The shirt below is a test run of a fire long sleeve tie dye

firels1.jpg

Here is the fire long sleeve after soaking up ink for two days. Overall I'm pleased with it but I decided on dumping more red on while the shirt was open and reclosing it in a bag so I will wash it out in two more days and see if the red area is more filled in.
fire5.jpg

This one I tried out a "camo" spiral tie dye
camo1.jpg

Here are a couple others:

greenwhirl.jpg

blackhole1.jpg

pulse1.jpg

rainbowls1.jpg

I see Mad Jack the Pirate DVD's,LOL. Very nicely done.

They're actually VHS I bootlegged each season off TV and made covers for them! :lol:

Very cool :)

Nice job! Very informative pics, as always.
~Joe

Niiiice! Still haven't gotten my white shirt but I think this week sometime :p

That's cool i have done that before and i have used dirt instead of paint do everything like you did but instead of using paint use DIRT it looks pretty cool then let them dry out for anout three days then WEAR THEM!

i really like the second to last one!

Really cool. You are the Master of DIY. Thanks for sharing!!

Wowww, NICE job! They look so professional!

:0o:
I can't believe I MISSED this!!!

Everything is super awesome!!!
I really like the fire one and I bet it looks way better with more red! The fading is just so perfect! And the blue/green one is like, my favorite real colors ever :love:

I look forward to updates! :D

Here's a couple more new ones

rainbowts.jpg

yellowgreenbluespiral.jpg

Whoa... that last one is like :hail:

Back