What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This appeared in my inbox

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
>Hello SCOTT STRAUS. My name is Elizabeth Huber and I work for a
>company called DEG Invest I found
>your resume on careerbuilder.com because we are
>searching for reliable professionals across the United
>States who are interested in a potentially lucrative
>partnership with an international firm.
>
>DEG Invest is a leading investition company in Germany
>and we are currently expanding our operations in the
>United States. But because of various banking and
>legal restrictions, we are unable to open commercial
>bank accounts in every state. As such, DEG Invest is
>recruiting partners to conduct simple banking
>transactions on our behalf.
>
>The process is simple. If you were interested in
>becoming a US partner of DEG Invest, you would sign
>an agreement that would make you an official financial
>representative of our company, able to accept invoice
>payments on our behalf. Instead of asking our
>American clients to conduct complicated international
>payment transactions (which are especially complex for
>German companies), we have them work with our
>partners to submit payments. You would then forward
>the payments to us, a simple transaction for an individual.
>
>DEG Invest pays its partners a 10% commission on
>every transaction. In addition, we will take care of
>any incremental tax liability you incur. Depending on
>which state you are in, and of course on how good
>business is, your monthly commissions could be as high
>as $4,000 per month.
>
>If you are interested in working with us, or if you
>want more information, you can contact me directly at
>my personal email address: support@deginvest.org. I'll need your full
>name and mailing address so I can send you the
>contract and other paperwork necessary to get started.
>
>I look forward to hearing from you soon.
>
>Elizabeth Huber
>support@deginvest.org
>www.deginvest.com
>

I got that too, and I'm pretty sure I didnt post a resume
smile_n_32.gif

Hmm, I would E-Mail and ask a TON of questions to make sure it's not a scam. Something is telling me it is in fact a scam.

-Rail

If a great offer arrives by email, it's almost always authentic.  I'm expecting a former Nigerian government official to deposit $15 million into my bank account any day now.

Bruce, I'm taking that to mean that you think it is bogus, right? Can we insert one of these?
smile_m_32.gif

Having now just read your response to the female president topic, it is exceedingly clear that you were being sarcastic.

You guys are seriously thinking there might be something in it?

Bin it!
smile_n_32.gif

Don't bother, anything in the triple figures is almost always a scam.

Jim it is a scam and it is not out of Germany. Do not even answer this.

Now, get this, try to go to the url given at the end of the email. Notice something?

Take another glance at the email and you'll note that they tell you to direct your email to blahblahblah.org. Put in the same url as before but replace the .com with .org. Viola!

What does this prove?! Diddly squat. Well, maybe that the person who wrote the email for was a bit careless.

The site looks to be that of a legit business, and the email addresses that they have you write to for information do in fact use the same domain as from the email "blah@deginvest.org".

Here is the link to their faq:
DEG faq

They look legit, especially since having a developed website as a scammer is something very risky to do. I'd ask as many questions as it took to get myself feeling comfortable if I were considering going with this, though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Nov. 03 2005,1:49)]Having now just read your response to the female president topic, it is exceedingly clear that you were being sarcastic.
laugh.gif

I wouldn't get involved with any kind of offer via email. And I wouldn't go clicking any links either. If you don't know who its from, delete it.

Legit businesses don't use email to get business...particularly financial institutions. I've heard there are a lot of foreign online banking things that are scams going around. That sounds like one of them.

And no you aren't going to get free clothes from The Gap, a free computer from Bill Gates nor is anything "cool" going to pop up if you forward some silly email to 10 people in 10 minutes.
smile_m_32.gif

http://mines.acp.int/html/orgi_47_en.html

This in addition to some further research leads me to be able to firmly say that this is a legit business. They have references to them, tracks all over the internet- it's a real business. But the fact that a business is a business doesn't seem to slow down a lot of people screwing you anyway, so you should still be wary should you decide to contact them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PlantAKiss @ Nov. 02 2005,9:16)]I wouldn't get involved with any kind of offer via email.  And I wouldn't go clicking any links either.  If you don't know who its from, delete it.

Legit businesses don't use email to get business...particularly financial institutions.  I've heard there are a lot of foreign online banking things that are scams going around.  That sounds like one of them.

And no you aren't going to get free clothes from The Gap, a free computer from Bill Gates nor is anything "cool" going to pop up if you forward some silly email to 10 people in 10 minutes.  
smile_m_32.gif
Yup i gota agree with PlantAKiss on this one.
smilie4.gif

Ladies and Gentleman, I present to you "phishing". This is a common practice and E-mails like this are fake 99% of the time.

In addition, this forum (notice the name of it) shows a similar E-mail from the same company. The company used often exists and is reputable (i.e. Paypal, Ebay, etc...) but somebody not so clever has stolen the page's design and logos and is using it for scamming.

~ Brett

Well, another member already said they'd gotten the message as well, and furthermore that they hadn't signed up on jobbuilder (or where ever the people claimed to have gotten their email address from.) I still think that having an incorrect site address doesn't exactly add to it's credibility.
smile_l_32.gif
lol

I trashed it already. As trusting as I can be on the Internet, this didn't sit well with me. Thank you all for your input.

DEG story

I found the above article on a buisiness site and it seems to be talking about the same company.

Here's another one:

DEG story 2

Zac

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And no you aren't going to get free clothes from The Gap, a free computer from Bill Gates nor is anything "cool" going to pop up if you forward some silly email to 10 people in 10 minutes.
smile_m_32.gif

I get 4 or 5 magazines free every month, from emails. 1 of the magazines I have been getting for 7 years with out ever paying anything. However I also have an email account that gets about 500-2000 spam messages every 2 days. I use that anytime I sign up at a new site.

Back