What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CorneliusSchrute

A leuco by any other name would still be as glutto
I have been focused on Dionaea and Sarracenia over the past several years, but have had several D. capensis for two years or so; I grew them from seed. Now I am expecting seeds for many new species of Drosera, and I am wondering the best approach to growing these puppies to fruition. The species in question are:

D. dielsiana
D. intermedia
D. rotundifolia (actually not getting seed of this one, but grown plants via mass)
D. spatulata
D. tokaiensis

I was thinking that since these species represent a combination of temperate and tropical I would grow them according to those who need dormancy and those who don't. But I was also thinking of growing them basically the same for a couple of years without dormancy, and then put the, all through a light dormancy. I am only considering this because it would be easiest to grow them al under my temperate grow light area in my garage. It seldom gets below 40-45 degrees Fahrenheit in their.

What would you folks do?

Both Drosera rotundifolia and Drosera intermedia grow like weeds in my collection. You should have no trouble raising these species.

Good Growing,
Kenny

for the temperates....grow the dews just like you do the rest of your temperates......i think the other year-round dews are sub tropical so they are fairly tolerant of just about anything but the cold.

I'd say your best bet would b give them what they would expect in nature: the temperates get a dormancy every year (and whether your temperatures are cool enough, they'll decide on their own if they want to go dormant), and the tropical get the same temperatures year round. Trying to get them all to grow the same when they come from very different climates will result in disaster.

I have read that Drosera spatulata does not undergo dormancy, but that's only what I've read. If so, taking care of it should be a breeze, especially since it doesn't need high humidity (like Nepenthes humidity, I mean); it certainly has been for me. It also flowers quite often (which also has happened to me--six times!).

Depends on the variety of spatulata, Plant Planter. the species ranges from Japan to New Zealand, so there are purely tropical forms and temperate forms. Though the varieties most people get (and the very common hybrid x tokaiensis lookalike) are year round tropicals.

Yeah, plants from Fraser Island are definitely NOT the same as those from temperate areas. Thankfully, it's easy to differentiate between them.

Back