What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The First of Many Bog Trips

Well I just got back yesterday from my cottage up north, just south of Sudbury, Ontario. I'm an avid hiker and we went almost everyday while we were up there. About halfway through the vacation we did a trail that ran through some gorgeous cranberry bogland. It didn't occur to me to start looking for CPs, not sure why, until I came across some huge deposits of good old Canadian sphagnum. There were alot of sarracenia purpurea var purpurea and a collection of assorted hardy drosera, all of which held full seed pods aloft. Couldn't stay for long but managed to get a few pics. It was my first time seeing CPs in the wild and it was great!

Vacation2006-CottageBog-088.jpg

Vacation2006-CottageBog-115.jpg

Vacation2006-CottageBog-112.jpg

Vacation2006-CottageBog-093.jpg

Vacation2006-CottageBog-110.jpg

Vacation2006-CottageBog-107.jpg

Vacation2006-CottageBog-101.jpg

Vacation2006-CottageBog-094.jpg

Vacation2006-CottageBog-104.jpg

Vacation2006-CottageBog-090.jpg

I'll post more pics later...and sorry for the size

Way cool!

Very nice.

Makes me want to take a trip to the Pine Barrens again.

Enough of this CP stuff.  Didn't you see Zac mentioned Sudbury, one of the world's great mining areas?  What's the matter with you people?

I drove through Sudbury at midnight when going from Maine to Wisconisin in 1989.  Unfortunately, I was traveling with two agricultural engineers who couldn't care less about what might be pried out of the dark roadcuts. I could see the red warning lights on smoke stacks, but that was the only sign that I was in Sudbury. Have you ever seen any cool minerals or rocks around there?

OK, I got that out of my system; your photos are real nice.

Back