What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terraformers Recipes

Lil Stinkpot

Lucky Greenhorn
I swear I saw a recipe thread, but now I can't seem to find it.

Without much more ado, share your great recipes. I've seen several in the last couple days in the chat that others might like to try.

Ready, set, saute!

ETA:

SOMEbody wouldn't let me post this without a starter recipe. Okey dokey. You asked for it!

This is a D'Amato approved recipe :mwahaha:

15-20 soft, new Nepenthes pitchers, vigorously rinsed*
2 cups sushi rice
1 can coconut milk, shaken until your eyeballs rattle**
2 tablespoons sugar

Soak the rice in water overnight. Re-triple-rinse pitchers, cut off lids and tendrils. Do NOT cut too far up the tendril and make a hole. Stack upside down to drain.
Using a narrow spoon, gently fill each pitcher half full of rice-- use the end of the spoon or a chopstick to GENTLY tamp down the rice. Punctures are bad news. Put water in the steamer and put the bottom in. Stack the pitchers upright in the steamer. Use bunched foil to fill the empty space to keep the pitchers upright. In a bowl, mix the sugar into the coconut milk. Use a turkey baster to fill the pitchers the rest of the way with the coconut milk. Steam for one hour, with the timer set for fifteen minute increments to check the fluid level in the pitchers and top off the water in the bottom of the steamer (important!). Top off any pitchers that need it. AFter the hour, remove the steamer lid, shut off the stove, and allow to rest until you can handle them. Handle with care- they're pretty soft.

*Use softer species of Nepenthes. The woodier species aren't as enjoyably edible. It is better to use newly opened pitchers because they are softer, and have had less time to acquire that distinct insect aftertaste.
** Use a can opener to open the coconut milk. There will be "cream" on the top, and you miss it if you use a churchkey opener.

Optional chicken mole:

1 lb dark meat chicken, cut int 2" pieces.
1/2 c soy sauce
1/2 c vinegar
2 heaping tbs brown sugar

Combine all ingredients when you start the rice soaking the night before. When the rice gets going, start cooking the chicken. If you want more sauce, bake the chicken in a lidded dish. If you want less, thicker sauce, put it in a sauce pan and cook that way. It's all up to you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the link, too: http://www.neofarmthailand.com/index...105724&Ntype=6

Last edited:
Lamb & Feta Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce

Burger Ingredients:

1 lb. Ground Lamb
1/4 cup Fresh Mint - Chopped
4 cloves Fresh Garlic - Finely Chopped
1/2 tsp Kosher or Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 tbsp Arabic Baharat (other Baharats such as Turkish are a different blend of spices)
1 small block Feta Cheese - Cut into 1/8" slices
Buns or rolls of your choice

Tzatziki Ingredients:

1/2 cup Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup Sour Cream
2 cloves Fresh Garlic - Finely Minced
1/2 cup Cucumber - Peeled, Seeded and Diced
1 heaping Tsp Dry Dill

1st thoroughly combine all ingredients for the Tzatziki sauce in a bowl. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. You can also add some fresh squeezed lemon juice if you like.

Combine and thoroughly mix all burger ingredients (except the cheese) then form into patties of desired size and thickness. Grill or pan sear with olive oil to desired level of doneness (I recommend medium rare). Place feta slices on top of burgers and cover to slightly melt. Top burgers with Tzatziki sauce before serving.

Note:

I measure nothing when I cook. All measurements here are estimated.

Last edited:
so you started a recipe thread without a recipe? :awesome: niceeeee

One of my favorites.
My sis has always made this for me on New Years, so it seemed the appropriate one to post.
Brings back very fond memories and omg its so good and so very simple

Butch's Sister's Green Pepper Steak

1.5lb round steak (trimmed)
paprika
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 can beef broth (10.5oz)
2 bunches of green onions
1 large green bell pepper
2 tbsp corn starch
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
4-5 whole Tomatoes (approx.)
5-6 cups white rice (approx.)

Pound round steak and cut into ¼” strips; sprinkle with paprika. Brown the meat in butter. Add garlic and beef broth. Cover and simmer for 30mins. Cut the green onions and cut the pepper into strips. Add to meat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Mix cornstarch, water and soy sauce and add to meat mixture. Simmer until thicken. Finally, quarter the tomatoes and add to mixture and continue to simmer until the tomatoes have cooked.

Serve over white rice.

Last edited:
A friend and I saw this in a Racheal Ray magazine: Midnight Bacon.

Ingredients:

Bacon in the amount of your choice

Procedure:

Wake at midnight. Cook the bacon. Eat it.

I paraphrased Racheal some, but no joke: this was published. I haven't tried it yet, though. I fear this dish is beyond my skill set.

I grew up on the north east side of Chicago, just a couple blocks from Wrigley field.
One of the best local sandwiches was the Chicago style Italian beef sandwich.
(another of my sister's recipes, taste exactly like the street vendors)

1 (5-7lb.) Rump Roast
2-3 cups of water
2-3 Beef bouillon cubes
1tsp Marjoram
1tsp Thyme
1tsp Oregano
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup of green pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste
Few drops of Tabasco
Italian bread

Roast rump roast on rack in open roasting pan at 325f at 40 mins per pound. (roast will be rare at this point)
Cool and slice very thin (meat slicer works best, needs to be paper thin)
To drippings, add the marjoram, thyme, oregano, tabasco, salt, pepper, Worcestershire, garlic, and green pepper.
Simmer for 15 minutes
Return sliced roast to marinade for 4-5 hours to overnight.
When ready to serve, warm to simmer but do not boil

Serve on Italian bread with some of the au jus on the side.
I like to top mine with a little spicy Giardiniera, omg nom

now im hungry LOL

Last edited:
one more from me....

A few years ago, I was in Berlin and just about lived off of street vendor Currywurst and Döner Kebaps

This recipe is spot on, I typically make it about once a year.

"Berlin street vendor Currywurst"
2 tbsp Canola oil
1 finely chopped large yellow onion
3 tbsp hot curry powder
2 tbsp hot Hungarian paprika
½ cup sugar
2 cups whole peeled canned tomatoes with juice
¼ cup red wine vinegar
Salt to taste

Crush the tomatoes by hand and set aside
Heat oil in saucepan, add onions and cook for 8 mins.
Add spices and cook for one minute (will become very aromatic)
Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to boil
Reduce heat and cook for about 25 mins to thicken, stir occasionally.
Put mixture in food processor or blender and puree
Place puree in cheese cloth or force through a sieve to strain.
Final consistency should like a sauce or thin ketchup
Pour the sauce over your favorite cooked bratwurst and sprinkle some more of the paprika as a garnish

Traditionally served with fried potatoes and a good beer.
Currywurst_UweLangnickel1.jpg

Last edited:
Back