What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey guys!
I am ridiculously excited because I just pitched an idea for me to teach a class on CPs at the State Botanical Garden of Georgia. I know a few staff over there, and since I already exhibit CPs at one of their events the idea went over really well. It will probably be in the spring and only last a few hours, but it may be worked into a certification in native plants program they already do.

In the coming weeks we will be talking about what they will want, and what I would be able to present on or bring. I would love input from the CP community as far as great ideas to talk about, or demonstrations that work well, especially if anyone is a teacher or has lectured on CPs. This will primarily be for an adult audience and will likely feature the horticulture of CPs and a strong focus on conservation. I decided to pitch the idea to them mainly because I want to take a stand for CPs and do whatever I can on their behalf, but also because we all know they're awesome and hope everyone in the world will want to grow them :-D. It is just a volunteer effort on my part and I hope it will work out well. People will be paying the garden ~$50 to take this class, and I want them to feel like they're getting a good experience. Since I am simply a horticulturist, I have never done anything like this before and it is wayyyy out of my comfort zone, and I am nervous because I want it to go well.

One thing I am thinking is having the garden provide peat moss, sand, plastic pots, and trays, and I provide some extra D. capensis for people to pot up their own sundews. I want to stress how tolerant CPs can be and how easy it is to add them to your garden. Many of the people I will be speaking to will have a strong interest in native plants, may already be long-time gardeners, but may be completely new to the concept of CPs.

I would also like to be able to bring as many living plants as possible and showcase as many genera of CPs as I can. I want to 'wow' people with their variety and demonstrate that all CPs are not Sarracenia or VFTs. I do not currently have any decent specimens of Cephalotus, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Genlisea... if there is anyone out there who may have small pieces of any of these that they would be willing to send for the sake of CPs at the cost of shipping, I would love to get ahold of them. My email is kevintheplantman@gmail.com--my inbox has been bursting at the seams and email is much easier. I know that is a lot to ask and I am perfectly happy to just do photos on a powerpoint, but I have a strong opinion that real living things are always the coolest to look at.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I have until springtime to get everything sorted out so I appreciate your guys' input and help!

Last edited:
Back