What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overview of the indoor setup, light is a 6 bulb t5ho with two 3500k bulbs and 4 6500k bulbs.

Sorry for the focus issues in some photos, still learning with the new DSLR. I would love some tips...

D. Aliciae

D. Venusta (shipper folded the plant :rant:)

D. Spatulata, I don't think I've ever seen this thing not have a stalk up.

D. Binata

D. Capensis (red)

D. Spatulata (Beenak, Vic)

D. Tokaiensis x Spatulata (Tamlin)

D. Lantau, this plant just stalled on me for about a month and it just now starting to shoot out some new growth.

D. Mannii x Callistos

D. Lake Baderup, only had two pull through.

Random pygmy pot

Moved some Spaghum and had this unknown dew pop up along with the vft, the Tokaiensis got ripped from it's pot by the cat and I found it dried up the next morning. The roots were still wrapped in peat and moist so hopefully it'll pull through.

D. Filiformis, starting to wake up.

D. Intermedia, doing the same.

Received my U. Bisquamata today, shipper also included the 'weed' dews that were in the pot with it (IDs are welcome).

Not much to show for the fly traps expect for this pot of them, The pot is crowed with them even in the moss. This should be a beautiful pot in Spring.

S. Rubra x Gulfensis (Bruce stated the pitchers stay green and have white flowers), starting to see some growth.

S. Chipola, doing the same.

P. Primuliflora (blue flower) & P. Caerulea

P. Rotundiflora x Hemiephytca

P. Rotundilfora

P. Aphrodite

P. Titan (Folded in shipping...)

N. Ventrata

N. Splendid Diana (max. x kampot)

N. Morganiana (Mir. x Hook)

N. Kat Lester (Viking x mir.china), I have yet to get a pitcher from this plant and the latest one forming is now browning...

Last edited:
It looks like there might be some dissolved minerals in the soils there, I'd suggest a washing out with distilled or R/O water (might be one reason why some of the things are a bit stalled, like the Lantau). I might also lean more on the peat than the perlite in mixes other than the Mexican Pinguicula. I'd also let ones like the rotund x hemi dry out a bit to avoid any rot that might try to set in while it's that small.

I water with R/O but the store I get it from lacks in the quality department and their filters are probably past due. I'll take your advice and pick up some sealed bottles tomorrow, out of curiosity how can you tell by the pictures?
It looks like there might be some dissolved minerals in the soils there, I'd suggest a washing out with distilled or R/O water (might be one reason why some of the things are a bit stalled, like the Lantau). I might also lean more on the peat than the perlite in mixes other than the Mexican Pinguicula. I'd also let ones like the rotund x hemi dry out a bit to avoid any rot that might try to set in while it's that small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The plants that are kind of overly squat in appearance, or have leaves browning where they shouldn't is usually a good sign. In addition, on the perlite in the pots that you can tell have been sitting in place for some time you can see some algal growth here and there, but more so tannin build-up and what I'm going to call "crusting" of the peat that tends to go with mineralization. Could also be you have an issue I faced recently, and that's impure peat moss itself; I've resorted to soaking and wringing out the peat I use to remove any excess minerals or nutrients in them to avoid this.

The first few plants I ever received I didn't wash the peat with... I think I'll do a repot on my dew collection and rinse the peat well. You're full of knowledge I'll tell you that, thanks for all the pointers!
The plants that are kind of overly squat in appearance, or have leaves browning where they shouldn't is usually a good sign. In addition, on the perlite in the pots that you can tell have been sitting in place for some time you can see some algal growth here and there, but more so tannin build-up and what I'm going to call "crusting" of the peat that tends to go with mineralization. Could also be you have an issue I faced recently, and that's impure peat moss itself; I've resorted to soaking and wringing out the peat I use to remove any excess minerals or nutrients in them to avoid this.

Also, the "weed" dews you mentioned look to me like D. Capensis and some form of Binata. I don't have enough knowledge to be REALLY sure, but that's my thoughts.

Those two are definitely capensis and binata, but I think the real question is what the third variety happens to be.

Back