What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoonleaf sundew

I was just curious how you all grow your spoon leaf sundews. Mine is in a giant clump in a 3" pot as it came from the grower. Do you usually let it grow like that, or spread it out?

depends on what you think looks better.

Well said. Drosera intermedia is a clumping plant in habitat so I prefer to grow it like that. If you divide them, you'll probably get more plants since they will all tend to clump.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ July 30 2006,8:58)]Well said. Drosera intermedia is a clumping plant in habitat so I prefer to grow it like that. If you divide them, you'll probably get more plants since they will all tend to clump.
Spoon leaf would be D. rotundifolia.... wow i cant believe i just did that
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
Alex

Actually, the round leaf sundew is D. rotundifolia. The spoon leaf is D. intermedia.

-Ben

I thought that drosera spatulata was the spoon leaved sundew

lol...yay for common vs. latin names

I've always read that:
D. intermedia - water/ love-nest sundew
D. spatulata - spoon-leafed/spatula-leafed (go fig) sundews
D. rotundifolia - round-leafed sundew

guess it all depends on what kind of spoons you're accustomed to using... =P

Yeah, I've always been under the impression that:

Spoonleaf Sundew = Drosera spatulata

And to answer the posters original question, it all depends on how I'm growing the Spoonleaf Sundews. If they're just in a pot like yours, I leave them be. If they're in a classic terrarium where they have more room, I let them run rampant! And trust me, Spoonleaf Sundews are crazy little guys. They can take over a whole terrarium within a year or two. They're EXTREMELY prolific, up there with Cape Sundews and Bladderworts.

thanks. And from now on I'm not using common names. I was after D. spatulata

bleh... i loose.
Alex

Back