What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some wild S purp and D rotundifolia pics

Had a spur-of-the-moment bog trip yesterday morning so I thought I'd post some pics.

8940-R1-05-19A.jpg

The last time I was there about a month ago, a crew was pruning back the plants around the path. Besides the sound of chainsaws and power trimmers ringing out through the bog, the carnage along the path was terrible. There were many, many decapitated sarracenia flowers strewn about amongst the ferns and other plant life. Some of them were cut and then tossed back into the live plants and you can imagine how pissed I was to see an entire uprooted S purp purp laying across the top of a bush. The rhizome was still white and it took everything I had to not take it home and raise it. I found a patch of sphagnum and replanted it but I think it'd have been harder to take that route had the crews not still been there. I'll get in trouble if I remove it, but they can cut them and uproot them??

Anyway, I was more than a little disappointed yesterday to see that they didn't bother to clean up any of the cuttings

8940-R1-11-13A.jpg

the dead branches were blocking the sun-starved CPs in this overgrown bog

8940-R1-01-23A.jpg

Even some of the locals were pissed at this:
8940-R1-08-16A.jpg

I could not find where I'd planted the uprooted plant. The amount of growth from the non-CPs was amazing-especially in the short amount of time since the last visit.

But enough of that...on to the main show.

sarracenia and drosera hanging out together
8940-R1-10-14A.jpg

8940-R1-12-12A.jpg

8940-R1-17-7A.jpg

8940-R1-13-11A.jpg

"I think I can, I think I can..."
8940-R1-21-3A.jpg

8940-R1-02-22A.jpg

8940-R1-22-2A.jpg

8940-R1-20-4A.jpg

8940-R1-18-6A.jpg

I will be sending some of the pics of the paths to the parks department and complaining about how much it detracted from my visit. The best sarracenia area there was unrecognizable because it has become so overgrown in recent years. I wish they'd do a burn. On a positive note, there was a considerable rise in the amount of sundews that I found this time. Some visits they are near impossible to find but this time they were quite prominent.

Very nice, thanks for sharing :). I really wish to see CPs in the wild. It's a real shame they had to do all that for the path :(.

Um, did you complain about of careless the crew was and ruined so many plants!

Um, did you complain about of careless the crew was and ruined so many plants!

I sent an email today with pics attached. Maybe they'll at least use a different landscaping crew...but I doubt it. It is a government agency afterall so I won't expect too much action.

I'd say chain yourself to some rotundifolia but I dont think it'd have the same effect as when people did it with the redwoods

was this out at the bog in kent? i've been thinking about making my annual trip out there...

peace,
tech...

I didn't know there was a bog in Kent with CPs. My sister goes to Kent. I've lived in Ohio my entire life, and hadn't the slightest clue that there were readily available CP bogs. How do you find them?

There is one in Kent that I visited and found nothing. This one is more in Ravenna (at least it is near one of the Ravenna exits off of 76. Maybe it is close enough to Kent to be considered as Kent.

Davy, I think I just googled Ohio and CPs and bogs etc and checked the maps to see what was close. I hear that this is the best example of a Kettle Bog in the state. It is quite nice, but getting too crowded.

So I did send a letter of complaint with some pics and this is what I received back:

I manage the ******** Bog State Nature preserve and I understand your concern for the rare vegetation. The seasonal staff that do the trail maintenance need to utilize power equipment to trim the trails: I would prefer that hand pruning be done but time and staffing restraints do not allow for such a time consuming task along with hand removal of all cut debris. The workers are conscious of the sensitivity of the plants and there are occassional mishaps that occur due to the power tool trimming. I have shown my two workers the photos that you forwarded and had them read your complaint as well to re-instill the sensitivity of the site. The trails do need to be managed and I try to have the trimming result in minimal negative impact. I know the trail debris is unsitely but I have found that the Sarracenia plants are thriving all throughout the bog mat, as well as the Drosera. The dense cover at this site does not seem to impact the plants growth or flowering. If we see a decrease in populatin numbers, we will adjust our trimming accordingly. This method of trimming has been done for years and we have not seen a negative impact.

Our main focus during the spring, summer, and fall months is ecological management of invasive plant species. The crew is out most of the time pulling, cutting and treating or hand wicking invasive plants. If we allow the invasives to grow, the bog would soon become littered with European Buckthorn, yellow flag iris and cat-tail. We take care of 9 preserves within 6 NE Ohio Counties and purple loosestrife is a HUGE problem at Jackson Bog in Stark County.

This fall we will be cutting the meadow in front of the parking lot ot encourage habitat for an endangered dragonfly. We do try our best to manage all aspects of the site and want the plants and habitat to thrive.

So I guess it is okay that it look like hell and MANY sarracenia flowers get decapitated? Oh well.

Back