What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Utricularia blooming for me now

U. nelumbifolia Feb. 20, 2012
DSC_00060005_3_hf.jpg

I have two little colonies of U. pubescens. One is growing in pure dead LFS, and the other is in milled LFS and sand 1:1. Both colonies started flowering at the same time, but the flowers look slightly different:

U. pubescens

Pure LFS
20120223_015s.jpg

LFS:Sand
20120226_004s.jpg

In addition two U. blanchetii colonies started spamming flowers too. I am very surprized that this tiniest of all utrics I have (leaves-wise) makes flowers as large as any:
20120226_001s.jpg

20120226_002s.jpg

Thank you Ron for these wonderful plants :)

And last but not least a traditional shot of angry/evil bunnies!
This is a little colony I started in peat:turface mix after noticing that is grows very poorly in LFS:sand mix. It started with one flowerstalk and now is slowly taking over the pot with other plants in it.

20120226_008s.jpg

20120226_011s.jpg

P.S. I apologize for the low quality.

way to go Bro! they are looking good.

Gill_za,

Congrats on all the flowers! I really liked U. blanchetii due to the unique foliage but it never grew very well for me. Looks like it's giving you a ton of flowers.

Is the U. pubescens flower a one-off or do all of the blooms from that pot omit the center spot?

Your last bunny (last pic - center) is definitely of the 'angry' variety. Beware - they may be gathering their numbers for an attack ... :-O

Hi Ron,

So far that colony only produced one flower stalk (and only one flower was open). I will put more pictures when there will be more flowers.

Well, I've had a reminder to post some flower pics since September 25, 2011 - I'm just a tad behind ... ???

U. alpina 'Pittier Moon'
I had a lot of difficulty trying to 1) get the exposure correct (tough with white flowers) & 2) allowing for some perspective --- these flowers were huge! The first pics are just the flowers - then I add my hand for some idea of size. The top two flowers are fully open - the others are still opening ...
UalpinaP-Moonall092511.jpg

UalpinaP-Moon3-4092511.jpg

UalpinaP-Moonfrontwhand092511.jpg

UalpinaP-Moontopwhand092511.jpg

UalpinaP-Moonside092511.jpg

Interestingly, all of these pics were re-sized to 800 pixels wide before I uploaded to photobucket ...

.... on a different note, I can tell spring is near because my windowsill U. longifolia is sending up some stalks ..... :banana2:

really hard to get those ethereal translucent shots--- although you seemed to capture the effect very well with the shots that have your hand in them. :lol:

beautiful flowers Ron! amazing work!

Huge and so many flowers per spike. Spring is indeed here. Have several U. longifolia blooming/spiking as well as U. alipina

Wow that alpina is amazing!

I've been waiting for over a month to dig this plant out of it's regular home for a few pics (major tangles!!)

U. asplundii, Chiwinda Ecuador (short lobe clone)
UasplundiiChiwindaplantflowers041512RS.jpg

There's approximately 50 stalks in there. I counted multiple times, getting counts from 48 to 56. Wow - that cinderblock sure doesn't do the plant justice ... ??? ... but there's no way I can dig that thing out again ... :headwall:

Views of flowers...
UasplundiiChiwindaflowers1041512RS.jpg

UasplundiiChiwindaflowers041512RS.jpg

Stunning :clap:

Does this species flower often? and easily?

Your U. asplundii is absolutely gorgeous Ron! So many flowers, just amazing! :0o:

Reactions from around the world to Ron's most awesome utric.

north-korea-mourner.jpg

Seriously amazing Ron :hail:

Gorgeous! I especially love the U. alpina and U. asplundii flowers.. so breathtakingly beautiful!

I had a volunteer utric show up in a pot of seedlings with a completely different leaf shape a few months ago. I originally figured it was an unknown Orchidioides but after pondering this for a while, I realized that 1) it was very unlikely that any Orchidioides seeds ever got near that pot & 2) U. longifolia flowers (& pods) were 4 feet above the tank on a windowsill the previous year. With that thought in mind, two weeks ago I moved the small pot to the windowsill. Just as I was planning to include it with one of the packages in my recent giveaway, I noticed a flower stalk. Yup - in a 2.5" pot - U. longifolia (probably) is sending up a stalk which will probably be flowering on the shortest day of the year. :crazy:

Here's a pic from a few minutes ago (penny on right for scale).
Ulongifoliastalk111512RS.jpg

I've never seen such great utric photos in my life! (ok, maybe I haven't searched for them that much, but still... amazing plants everyone!). Definately inspires me to build on my utric collection :)

I confess that I haven't even been to this forum before. Now I have spent the last hour or so pouring over all the entries to this thread and I'm impressed. I'm new to utrics but hoping to have something to contribute here someday.

woot ron that asplundii is gorgeous

Genlisea glandulosissima (Fries)
DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0023-1.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

Back