What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's some of my sarracenia. After a long, dry winter, my sarracenia have decided to wake up. The first group of spring pitchers didn't open up until the end of May.

S. x moorei
WkZtHsY.jpg

S. "Copper Vase"
iNyKV0S.jpg

S. x mooreana 'White' - For some reason, the pitchers opened up opposite of the flowers. There was also a total of 9 blooms this year with this plant.
T2xmJA7.jpg

S. ‘Doreen’s Colossus’
axwjYeW.jpg

S. "Extreme Green" - A flava maxima x oreophila hybrid that produces large lids.
Z0KgYxg.jpg

S. rubra ssp. rubra
TxPVl1D.jpg

These next few pics were taken a few days back.

S. x Oreophila x ‘Royal Ruby’
hb8EfUs.jpg

S. leucophylla "Hurricane Creek White"
HSQb7lw.jpg

S. "Copper Vase" - A new pitcher. I like how this hybrid produces red pitchers with yellow lips, which eventually fade out to a nice bronze color with red lips.
QpulzfU.jpg

More pics soon when I don't feel lazy to take them.

Nice plants. Love the Moorei in the first pic.

I love those flowers! I can't wait to have some of mine next spring. Probably a few months earlier than you hehe. Probably the only plus of living in south.

Very nice plants!! Your flava crosses look great 8 )

Lovely plants! All the pitchers on my plant collapsed in the recent rainstorm. :(

Lovely plants! All the pitchers on my plant collapsed in the recent rainstorm. :(
I usually take in my sarracenia inside during the rainstorms. nice plants btw.

Thanks for the compliments everybody!

Nice plants. Love the Moorei in the first pic.

Thanks. Eventually the orange faded away to a creamy white. I'll take another pic tomorrow.

I love those flowers! I can't wait to have some of mine next spring. Probably a few months earlier than you hehe. Probably the only plus of living in south.

You still get the similar weather since you're just down the coast. Though once they flower, you'll be inclined to do crosses! I pollinated most of the S. x 'Mooreana' flowers with pollen from S. 'Doreen's Colossus' so hopefully I get some nice, tall growing babies.

I usually mitigate this by using garden stakes and/or bamboo chopsticks wrapped with green flex wire. Though the open mouth hybrids like S. x catesbaei usually fall over for me.

Took some more pics earlier this afternoon in the midday sun.

S. x [(Rubra x Oreophila) x Purpurea Burkeii]
S410Iuc.jpg

S. x catesbaei x flava
ihyAsMC.jpg

S. x flava rubricorpora "Claret" X flava rugelli "Giant Robust" - I got this plant back in September from eBay as a year old seedling. I decided to skip it's dormancy and grow it indoors under CFLs 24/7. It grew too tall for my 10 gallon seedling terrarium so I placed it outside in the beginning of May. The pitcher that's pictured is eight inches tall.
3c4Ai6w.jpg

S. 'Cobra Nest' - I hope this plant flowers for me next season. I want to try creating a taller growing hybrid with the same clumping growth pattern and the rich maroon color.
sOhhyWn.jpg

S. "Copper Vase" - The pic is out of focus but you can see the bronze-colored, older pitchers on the left while the newest pitcher on the right.
11xg9bQ.jpg

S. x flava var. cuprea x flava var. maxima "JL407" - Picked it up in the middle of the winter and it survived being placed outside in below freezing weather with minimal protection.
E1mio8N.jpg

Here it is a few weeks back. I loved how orange it was.
ZXAE15p.jpg

Anyways, that's it for now. I'll update again whenever I feel like it.

You still get the similar weather since you're just down the coast. Though once they flower, you'll be inclined to do crosses! I pollinated most of the S. x 'Mooreana' flowers with pollen from S. 'Doreen's Colossus' so hopefully I get some nice, tall growing babies.
I'm sure I will be hooked once I get some Sarracenia flowers. My D. spatulata flowered today! And I already spent an hour trying to (unsuccessfully) photograph it. I can see some pollinating in my future.

I usually mitigate this by using garden stakes and/or bamboo chopsticks wrapped with green flex wire. Though the open mouth hybrids like S. x catesbaei usually fall over for me.

Would you mind posting some pictures of how you keep the pitchers up with the chop stick method? I have a few garden spikes, but they are in use elsewhere. I'm a little worried about my pitchers being knocked over in a rainstorm while I'm away for the week. And I have tons of chopsticks around the house.

Copper vase is a really beautiful plant! Never heard of it before. The second pic is awesome

I love the hood on the S. x moorei and of course the Cobra's Nest!

I'm sure I will be hooked once I get some Sarracenia flowers. My D. spatulata flowered today! And I already spent an hour trying to (unsuccessfully) photograph it. I can see some pollinating in my future.

Would you mind posting some pictures of how you keep the pitchers up with the chop stick method? I have a few garden spikes, but they are in use elsewhere. I'm a little worried about my pitchers being knocked over in a rainstorm while I'm away for the week. And I have tons of chopsticks around the house.

If you do a good pollination, you can get hundreds of seeds from a single flower.

PrtFxd4.jpg

Gns29UL.jpg

Here's how I prop up my smaller plants. For large plants I use metal stakes and wrap them a few times with the flex wire.

Copper vase is a really beautiful plant! Never heard of it before. The second pic is awesome

Thanks. I don't know the parents but I'm guessing it has a little bit of S. purpurea, S. flava var. cuprea, and S. flava var. rubricorpora in it from what I've observed.

I love the hood on the S. x moorei and of course the Cobra's Nest!

Thanks. Here's the S. x moorei as of today. As you can see, the orange has faded into a creamy white top with brown veins. I'm kinda annoyed that this plant only put out one pitcher this year.

oXS4ZVE.jpg

Took another pic of the Cobra's Nest. Every day I pass by it, the pitchers look bigger and more maroon than when I last saw it. I'll try taking a ground level pic next time I get a chance.
WsEwBEL.jpg

Some of my seed pods are starting to develop. I can't wait to harvest them in the fall.
HKdK8yV.jpg

Nice looking collection!

Thanks for sharing. That is a brilliant idea! I will have to rig up some of my plants like that. When we get large storms my plants often bend in the wind and heavy rains. I just have small plants right now. What size do you start using the garden spikes? My largest plant is about a foot tall.

Nice looking collection!

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing. That is a brilliant idea! I will have to rig up some of my plants like that. When we get large storms my plants often bend in the wind and heavy rains. I just have small plants right now. What size do you start using the garden spikes? My largest plant is about a foot tall.

It depends on how densely pitchered the plant is IMO. If it's for a single pitcher or a newly acquired addition, I wrap wire around the pitcher to keep it from getting blown around by the wind. I also use it for the taller, erect growing species and some of the taller species/hybrids that have open mouths that aren't covered by their lids.

Back