What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, How should I start?

Feel free to move this thread if its in the wrong space. There was no 'questions about terrariums' section here. X)

So, I already have a 10 gallon fish tank that is empty and needs some sort of life form in it.But I think little terrariums to put on my window ledges would be nice too, since I can't have flowers or flowering plants, I'm allergic to pollen, trees, flowers and grass and weeds. My personal options for gardening in my home space are very limited. o_O So where should I start? with the big tank or a smaller jar? Whats easier? I had a venus fly trap once and it died so learning how to care for one may be priority number one. As soon as I find a store that sells carnivorous plants around here. X)

Unfortunately, I can't give you any store names except FlyTrapShop. Any normal google search will give you all you need.

Growing venus flytraps (or any temperate carnivore) in a terrarium can be difficult. You need very strong lighting. I'd recommend tropical and sub-tropical sundews. D. Capensis is a good start.

Temperate plants such as flytraps, sarracenia, and temperate drosera do best outdoors, though in some places they are alright indoors. If you want to do windowsill growing or in a terrarium (which is often unnecessary until you get more difficult species) go with subtropical drosera and nepenthes.

It should be noted first off that ALL carnivorous plants are flowering plants, so if that throws you off growing these guys...however, should also be noted that the pollen of most CP's is relatively heavy and is not wind-blown, an exception being the Nepenthes perhaps which also have huge flowers you're liable to rub against in any small space too.
Secondly, most CP's will prefer good lighting over high humidity, so the tank/jar idea is really not the best way to go anyway. If you have a bright windowsill, or a shelf you can fix a light above, far better choice.
Thirdly, if you do insist of using the terrarium, first find a light that is bright and preferably does not give off much heat, or you'll risk cooking the plants in an enclosure. A tank that is any smaller than 30-40 gallons or shorter than 15" high will restrict you to small plants, like the tropical rosetted sundews, Utricularia, perhaps Genlisea (but flower scapes get tall), or if you have the patience to put in the work for a proper soil/drainage setup you might be able to try Cephalotus.

Back