What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im here...

I like sanguinea because for me it is one of the fastest CPs I grow, It puts out a new pitcher about once a month during its growing season and handles high temperatures and low humidity very well.

Only problem is that one of mine appears to be getting sick :(. Its leaves have become progressively smaller and have little spots on them when they emerge which go right through to the bottom. They kinda look like sun spots only the plant is growing in the shade!
Originally I had thought the plant might just be struggling with our summers, which are hot and dry. But the plants growing around it are fine so thats not it! Its in a growing media of quite compacted sphagnum moss and tree fern chunks. Watered as much as it needs and thoroughly! In typical sanguinea fashion the silly thing is still pitchering nicely producing some intermediate type pitchers :p, these are ok sized giving the plant a pitcher to leaf ratio of 2-1 right now with the new stunted leaves!

Any advise would be appreciated from you more experienced people...

cheers nic

It sounds like a type of fungus infection. Have any of the red spots turned black? There are a few threads on here already about how other people treat for it, but I use common household cinnimon to stop the fungus from spreading.

Compacted sphagnum moss is also not good. That can lead to oxygen deprivation of the roots. I would second what Dave said and treat with a funigicide, though most definetly.

Gday Dave
None of the spots have turned black...
Its worth mentioning that theyre tiny spots! A few millimetres and they dont seem to get bigger, also theyre only on the new growth.
Could it be leaf spot fungus when the spots dont grow or change? they appear to remain the same as they are when the leaf emerges.

cheers nic

Are the spots possibly nectar glands?

Cheers,

Joe

No! They are not nectar galnds...duh...:-))

The griffin
Sorry if I offended you...They are not nectar galnds as I said, I think they may be rust spot or something similar.
cheers

Back