What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia Size Chart?

Fred, awesome rhizomes :) I assumed you were about to plant them after receiving them lol

Time for me to go!

I classify Sarrs by maturity, not direct rhizome size/length/dividsion:

-Seedling: Sarr that is still producing immature "seedling" pitchers. Usually under 3 years old. Has not divided.

-Small: Sarr that is no longer producing "seedling" pitchers. The "mature" pitchers are still significantly smaller than those of the large version of the same plant. Usually has not divided.

-Medium: Sarr that is either right under or right over the flowering borderline. Pitchers are a tad bit smaller than than those of the large version of the same plant. May have divided already.

-Large: A Sarr that has flowered more than once. Produced pitchers are as large as they will get for that plant's species/variety. Has divided already.

Mine is like Joosa's:

-Seedling: A Sarr that only has immature and small pitchers under the three or four year mark.

-Small: Usually one or two growth points that is 4 or 5 years old. Nowhere near flowering size.

-Medium: A Sarr that will flower the year of trading/giving or has already flowered.

-Large: I check the rhizome before trading off. Usually gnarled and very large and has flowered multiple times. 2-4 growth points, usually.

Although I’ve neglected it (it’s been sitting in a tub of water for the last 5 weeks), how would you all feel about having ordered a “large” and receiving this rhizome in the mail? Even though the rhizome is big, the crowns are on the small side and it probably wouldn’t flower this year. Thoughts?

1002476800x601y.jpg

1002477800x601dj.jpg

It would be bittersweet. Joking! So are you going to send that to me or what?

That's seems like a perfect candidate to try out that notching technique! Nice rhizome.

That would be considered large in my book. I ordered a "large" and got something that was small enough to be planted in a 4 inch pot, and this was by 2 different very reputable people. And then another place I ordered "large" from was huge. That is what prompted this thread in the first place - people seem to have varying views of what is a "large" plant.

Fred, was the rhizome outdoors when it was in a tub of water? I ask because I think for the most part there is a popular misconception going around that states if you keep Sarracenia too wet during dormancy OUTDOORS that they will rot. What is your experience with this?

My plants have been flooded more than a couple of times and I have yet to lose a single plant.

Phil

That's seems like a perfect candidate to try out that notching technique! Nice rhizome.

Yes it would be Yann but I've already done it on 5 others and I frankly just don't have the room for one more.

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

Fred, was the rhizome outdoors when it was in a tub of water? I ask because I think for the most part there is a popular misconception going around that states if you keep Sarracenia too wet during dormancy OUTDOORS that they will rot. What is your experience with this?

My plants have been flooded more than a couple of times and I have yet to lose a single plant.

Phil

Yes Phil, all of my plants are outdoors all year long. I agree with you about the misconception. My plants stand in water 12 months out of the year (albeit at lower levels in the winter) and I have never lost a plant to rot. I leave rhizomes sitting in water for weeks at a time before potting them up with no ill effects. I know a number growers who do the same thing. Hec, I know one grower who has huge plants growing in nothing but water (no pot or media). These are bog plants and they're used to being flooded for periods of time in the wild particularly in the winter. I think plants tend to rot more when they are unhealthy to begin with. I have never had a healthy rhizome rot due to over watering.

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

The divisions in the pics below have been sitting in water for about 4 weeks. They are doing fine. The only difference I’ve noticed is algae starts to grow on the crowns after about a month in water but it rubs right off.

a1alatanigrapurpurea800.jpg

lh14601x800.jpg

Hmm, that does make sense Fred - sort of like the Sarr pictures I see of them floating on mats of moss in the swamps of Florida. Can't imagine that they aren't sopping wet in that scenario, albeit with more flowing/moving water than most mini-bogs provide.

The way it has been raining here... there was flowing water in my minibogs lol My Sarracenia were practically floating. I tipped over the pots to let some water out since it is supposed to rain through the night and I didn'twant my rhizomes floating away!

Back