What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia Growing in North Texas

I know that there are several wild populations of Sarracenia growing in east texas and I hope to someday go and see them. What I am having problems with is growing them in the dallas fort worth area. I have one that a got from lowes that I got right when they were unpacking the boxes and it was looking great.

I trasnplanted it from the bedding that it was in to a 50/50 sand peat mix and placed the pot into a 8 inch flower pot base that I keep with water in it at least 4 days a week. It was looking great for a long time I had new picthers coming up and all green then they all started to die back and not really open up. At this point it was getting around 4-5 hours of almost direct sunlight. And a couple of hours in the late evening of indirect.

I was worried that it was getting to much sunlight so I brought in inside and placed it is a window where it now recived the same photoperoid but filtered. Sence I moved it inside it has started to put up more pitchers again but none of them are really opening up much.

I was wondering if other CP growers have problems with there plants and to much sunlight in the southern states or if there is something that I need to do different with my plants. I am moving into a new home in a month and will be getting more Sarracenia for planting outdoors then and want to make sure that I will be setting them up correctly.

Too much sunlight? I don't think there is such a thing for sarracenia. They really need 8 to even 10+ hours of full if you can give them that.

The symptoms sound like it may be lack of light. All green... malformed pitchers, etc.

How long have they been inside? If not too long I would place them outside immediately and try to give them more than 4 hours a day.

A pic might help some of the experts on this forum help you out. I would not consider myself an expert by any means so you should wait for others to chime in as well.

Sounds good, it reminded me of when I placed some orchids outside and they burned in a couple days. They are outside right now getting some good texas rainwater from the storm that has been hammering us today. I would like to get some more but before I do I just wanted to ask for some other options on what might be happening.

Could be the hybrid you have (if it is.) S. dixie lace, for example, doesn't open it's pitchers very well.

Back