What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. rubra ssp. gulfensis "Gaint"

i have been off the forums for a long time, i know i have a LOT of back reading and general catch up to do.
i couldn't help myself, and picked up another plant from a local nursery. the tag reads (printed) " Sarracenia hybrid" and in pencil "gulf. GIANT x "couurtii" ".

i would assume S. rubra ssp. gulfensis "Giant" x (psittacina x purpurea venosa)

i don't remember hearing about an S. rubra ssp. gulfensis "Giant" being produced, which is why i'm asking.:scratch:

now to the back reading...:rolleyes:
-jULIE-

I know Lees Botanical Gardens carries the giant form of S. rubra ssp. gulfensis. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if your hybrid originated with them. I'd love to see pics if you have any.. ;)

Peter

thanks!
it's pretty small still, i'll make sure to inculde him in my yearly plant photoshoot for you.

yearly plant photoshoot haha! You got each year's pictures lined up in the hallway? Bring in big ol' trays of plants to the photo studio..

Some of us can't wait a year between photo updates! lol.

xvart.

yearly plant photoshoot haha! You got each year's pictures lined up in the hallway? Bring in big ol' trays of plants to the photo studio..

well, something like that. :blush: i ment yearly as in "this years photos" take photos more or less at random. whatever i think looks neat at the moment. i make up a background changer out of them for the long winter haul of no plants. this winter is taking forever...:headwall:

Yes...there is a larger form of rubra gulfensis that grows alongside regular rubra gulfensis. Some speculate as to the origin. It is said that it could have leucophylla in it's background. It's identical in color and in flower to rubra gulfensis. The lid, however, is a little wavier.

alright...took me long enough.
here's a photo of the little guy. he's still got quite a bit of growing to do. spring has finally hit in my neck of the woods. flava & oreo's are starting to send up the flower buds - wahoo!

pitcher's just opening up
DSCN5309Small.jpg

DSCN5308Small.jpg

Cool, I didn't know that gulfensis came in a giant form.
I almost got a gulfensis once...
I believe they produce beutifull tanned pitchers in late summer..

.. I love rubra's... I've got a couple young ones, and I've seen some pics of older ones, stunning aren't they?

Back