What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RobinGordon's Plants

That timeline is pretty cool. It's fun to see the progress but sad to see the bird attack. I am glad it has recovered so well. I agree with corky - they are much tougher than given credit for.

We caved in and bought some plants out of pity today from the local hardware store. Also had a chat to them about the conditions they were keeping the carnivorous plants and orchids in - completely uninterested in keeping them alive, just interested in selling them as fast as possible.

The first is a magnificent white Phalaenopsis sp. of some sort. It is HUGE compared to my first phal.
whitephal_zpsbfded5b2.jpg

It's also not in terribly good condition. The new plant is the one on the left - it's looking a bit chlorotic and wilted compared to the magnificently green and turgid (and scarred) leaves on the right.
leafcomp_zpsf8708e0b.jpg

We also picked up two Drosera that I don't already own - I suspect capensis and spatulata. What do you think?
photo1_zps187b16d1.jpg
photo2_zpsf304b6dc.jpg

Capensis, yes, and it may be D. spatulata on the right, but I'd almost bet money it's D. x tokaiensis instead.

Nice new phalaenopsis! I think the new one looks quite healthy. My healthiest phals were always that nice shade of lime green, but I imagine genetics has its part to play with coloring as well.

More about my luck with phals: I love growing them oriented side ways ( i.e. naturally oriented) in hanging baskets full of dried sphagnum moss. Might give it a go if you feel like experimenting.

Great CPs, too!

The new one has several dying leaves and many of the lower ones are quite limp. It's an impressive plant though - if it's vertical growth is anything to go by, it's a fairly old plant.

I would have them hanging but I don't have anywhere to keep them like that inside and they can't go outside - much too hot in summer, far too cold in winter. It's hard enough keeping the leaves whole through the winter inside (that is what caused the necrotic spots on the old phal) they'd keel over in a jiffy outside.

Sundews seem to be doing the best outside - they sit in a large semi-opaque crate and collect vinegar flies. Half of them are sulking at the moment though because I had to seal them up for two weeks while on holiday. The fungi loooved that; the half dozen D. auriculata didn't and have died. :(

Important question: does this look like bacterial soft rot? It's soft, brownish, and appears to be getting bigger.
It hasn't been in direct light. It hasn't been cold.

necrosis_zps6323ac64.jpg

Amputation is looking like a solid option at the moment.

EDIT: I found something that looked suspiciously like spores on the underside - as a result, amputation has happened regardless of what it was.

Last edited:
That does look like an infection.

Oh, the shots of the plants in the wild are very nice. Hope I get to go to Australia sometime and see some of your native plants in the wild.

Last edited:
Getting fancy with the orchids.

2BB67E49-7760-4DD9-8897-A37868B59EDE_zps15haeiye.jpg

Welp. The big white phal is dying from some mysterious disease but the Ceph has recovered beautifully.

ceph20140727_zps2e2c397a.jpg

Back