What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pyro's end of summer getting rid of plants post

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received the Pings in perfect shape last night--and a donation to ABG (plus shipping) is on the way! Thanks for the great opportunity Pyro!

I got my plants the other day and they are splendid! Thank you so much!

-J.P.

p.s. to those who are having problems are you slowly hardening these off or did you just pot them up and leave them exposed? I was under the impression that since these plants are relatively fresh out of TC that they need to be babied a bit. Am I correct?

the plants are already in shock, hello the 3 day shipping is enough stress, no way around it, its a question of recovery.

Hello everyone, I had received my plants on the 13th. Here are my D. regia plants as of just now. I have taken the precautions as to hardening them off.. This meaning, making sure to rinse off all of the agar (if any was left... Pyro did a great job of cleaning them off!!) potting them up, and having them in a bag for higher humidity, without being too wet, and keeping them out of strong sun. Hope it helps as a reference. And YES this is my first attempt at TC as is probably for most of you too.

-Andrew

I basically just threw my D. regia out there, and so far they took quite a hit but there's still some green there. Hopefully the roots will take hold in the next few weeks and some new, healthy leaves will develop.

ditto. My regia had a rough start, but the blackening of the leaf tips is slowing down a bit. The Pings took no slow down. They are on fire. And no not literally. :-)) The plants were rinsed, potted up and put in my high humidity terrarium. They will all survive now. I have lost a few regia, though. Maybe two actually.

My regia arrived almost completely black, just a touch of green in one or two leaves. I potted it and bagged it a couple days ago. I just checked it and it is completely blackened/brown. These plants will die down to the root so hopefully it will come back.

My regia arrived almost completely black, just a touch of green in one or two leaves. I potted it and bagged it a couple days ago. I just checked it and it is completely blackened/brown. These plants will die down to the root so hopefully it will come back.

I'm banking on the root thing too. I remember reading a while back that D. regia has the tendency to come back from the roots, so I figure that even if the top dies off, the roots may still surprise me.

The "root thing" is completely true. I've seen it happen more than once in my collection... For D. regia 'Big Easy' at least. lose 1 plant, get 3 back... haha

I received 2 or 3 D. regias and a few P. launea's, a few days ago. The pings were all green on arrival and still are. The sundews were mostly green, with a some black and brown. I got the package minutes after it was delivered, right before heading to work. So I took a few minutes to unpack and pot up. Never would have thought to rinse any of the agar and decided against keeping them in the bags. So I just set them open tray, in the LFS that they came in, but with indirect lighting to start them out. As far as I can tell, they weren't set back at all. I see one emergent leaf from a regia crown and it is still turgid to the touch. In other words, I think it is alive and growing. One existent leaf might actually have dew on it.

Thanks, Travis!

I took a another look at my pot of D. regia just now and there's lots of little plants starting to make their way up out of the soil. A great sight to bear witness to since I was afraid I had lost the clump altogether!

My D. regia came quite green and are doing good.

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience with my P. laueana was pretty similar to jimscott's. I had to let my plants sit the way they were shipped for about 3 days, with the baggie open for breathing. Potted them up about a week ago, and stuck them under lights. There has been some crisping of leaves at the tips, but new leaves are coming in on most of the plants, so we'll see. There were about a jillion little tiny plantlets, and I'm not sure how these are going to make out. But most of the biggest plants look like they're acclimating. Can't wait to see how they come out. Updates and photos when I get the time. Maybe another week or so....

The D. regia is still black and is starting to get some fuzz on it. I don't remember if I rinsed it or not, I thought I did. I'm afeared tis daid. So it goes.

Pyro,
I received my plants yesterday and they look great. With your directions in hand I started out on my first attempt with TC produced plants. I started with the P. montezumae and got them cleaned and separated. I used a 1/4inch acrylic paint brush for this job. I put everything that looked like a plant on some squeezed-out sphagnum moss that I had cut into small pieces and into a clear plastic container for humidity.

The D. paradoxa was so packed that I worked with it for a while but ran out of night. The plants look great but the mass of interconnecting roots are slowing me down. I will work tonight to keep all the roots I can.

What a great experience! I want to do TC but haven't been successful- except for an
African Violet that I really didn't want 100s of plants from. It is thrilling to deflask all those new plants.

Thanks so much for sharing with us.
Gale

My pings are doing great they doubled in size,my anglica is okay abit of blackening but barely so I am keeping that mnore humi and the regia only one has a hea;thy looking growing point but the other 6 or so will come back from there roots

Speaking of pings, these plants don't look like the plant I received last year. Perhaps it's like comparing a "Lowes Cube Of Death" D. adelae from time of purchase to months later, when acclimated?

My D.regia are doing pretty well in my grow rack as I am slowly acclimating them to their new home.

However the D.kenneallyi ain’t doin’ so well……. I think that the transplant shock may be doing it in. Its fragile little petioles continue to shrink back and turn black. Will a petiolaris-complex like this come-back from its roots or when it appears dead, it is indeed dead?? :-(

Hey Fry,

If the kenneallyi still has a bulb it'll come back. THis species can be shocky and a transplant can cause it to go into dormancy. Try upping the heat and keeping it damp but not sodden and see if that pulls it out.

Will do Pyro.

I'll put it up on the top shelf where the light and heat is higher than that of the second shelf.

I hope it does come back......I think the petiolaris-complex' are kinda cool, but I know they're difficult for a CP newb like me. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back