What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orchid Show, no pics, yet, but some gossip

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Okay folks today I went to the National Capital Orchid Society annual show. I am a member of the society but due to health issues and work had not ben too active this year.

Apparently the owner of a cp nursery within my state has been giving talks about cps for students of varies ages and other groups. My orchid cohorts have been attending these talks because they also give talks to the same groups during these sessions.

He has been telling folks that very soon cps will overtake orchids as THE PLANTS for dedicated hobbyists to grow. What is so funny about this is that every one I talked to said it won't happen because cps are to difficult to grow. :lol: The talk of HL conditions, and pure water etc actually them worried. I gave a few cp pep talks before leaving there and showed pics (on my cell phone) of my neps growing together with my orchids.

Oh, and just for Thez, I know you prefer the blues but today I bought a flask of RED phal violaceas.

Ironic......because many orchids require pure water....and HL temps (or LL temps) and high humidity....then there is the host of viruses and fungi they are prone to, many more than CPs seem to get.....I could go on. :lol:

if youre talking about Michael Szesze, then i was litteraly saying something about the EXACT same nursery in the chatbox, while you were creating this thread! if not, then theres another CP nursery nearby that i dont know about, and youl have to PM me abou that;)

Is the show in DC?

Ayup..at the National Arboretum. Work has kept me from doing too much with them the past few years. The show is always Columbus day weekend and covers five days. Thursday is set-up, Friday is judging and the members only potluck followed by a members only pre-public access to the sales tent. The show and sales tent is open to the public all day Saturday and Sunday and from 11:00-3:00 on Monday. Tthen everything is broken down Monday late afternoon.
In the past I have acted as a clerk for one of the judges. Assisted the official photographer who took the pictures of the AOS awarded plants, and have done my own exhibits.
I wish the DC/Baltimore area had a club for cps. Fredericksburg is just too far a drive for me on a regular basis.

Okay, I like killed every single orchid I kept and every single nep I have kept has lived except for one with some weird white things on it. I think CPs are a lot more fun because you get to feed them and watch them produce pitchers and track their growth. They grow soooo much faster than orchids!

They come in red?

Okay folks today I went to the National Capital Orchid Society annual show. I am a member of the society but due to health issues and work had not ben too active this year.

Apparently the owner of a cp nursery within my state has been giving talks about cps for students of varies ages and other groups. My orchid cohorts have been attending these talks because they also give talks to the same groups during these sessions.

He has been telling folks that very soon cps will overtake orchids as THE PLANTS for dedicated hobbyists to grow. What is so funny about this is that every one I talked to said it won't happen because cps are to difficult to grow. :lol: The talk of HL conditions, and pure water etc actually them worried. I gave a few cp pep talks before leaving there and showed pics (on my cell phone) of my neps growing together with my orchids.

Oh, and just for Thez, I know you prefer the blues but today I bought a flask of RED phal violaceas.

I have some really fast orchids. They're much pickier with watering requirements than CPs.

I'll have to see if I can make it up there tomorrow after collecting the Nep pollen at Meadowview. It probably won't happen though.

I live close enough to NoVa that we could hold meetings up there if we start a CPS.

Back