What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No roots

Hi

Need some advise from the more seasoned importers. I received my second batch of plants from a grower today. The jacquelineae had no roots, but the growing tip and leaves look fine (barring the little bit of shipping creasing on the leaves).

I reckon it was a cutting and didn't really push roots for whatever reason. still looks healthy overall.

I've planted it but is there anything I should do to help it push roots or just give it time to do it's thing?

humidity in the GH is around 60-70% during the day 90 - 95% (up to 100%) at night
temperature ranges from 7-8 degrees Celsius at night to 25-30 during the day.

If you have some sort of rooting compound, you could try dipping it into that before potting it up.

If you have some sort of rooting compound, you could try dipping it into that before potting it up.

+1

I use Rooting hormones by Wilson. I have a good rate with this.

From my own experience I find that using rooting powder/liquid stopped roots from developing! But do find it helpful to lightly remove the outside of the stem lower down which seems to help the plant take up water before it produces any roots. But as long as the leaves look fine- glossy/waxy looking rather than wrinkled and lacklustre it should be doing fine.

From my own experience I find that using rooting powder/liquid stopped roots from developing! But do find it helpful to lightly remove the outside of the stem lower down which seems to help the plant take up water before it produces any roots. But as long as the leaves look fine- glossy/waxy looking rather than wrinkled and lacklustre it should be doing fine.

The leaves are (still) waxy and gloss. It shipped very well in that regard.

thanks for the tip hcarlton and Maiden

Many Nepenthes, especially those freshly ex vitro, can almost exist as epiphytes or succulents, with little roots at all -- that is, until they later develop, in compost. Nepenthes can be resistant to rooting during micropropagation -- TC.

I would suggest simply planting it in a loose compost, and allow it to root. If you are concerned with it, I would use a bit of Rootone powder with fungicide. It has proven successful for years -- far more so than gels . . .

Last edited:
Many Nepenthes, especially those freshly ex vitro, can almost exist as epiphytes or succulents, with little roots at all -- that is, until they later develop, in compost. Nepenthes can be resistant to rooting during micropropagation -- TC.

I would suggest simply planting it in a loose compost, and allow it to root. If you are concerned with it, I would use a bit of Rootone powder with fungicide. It has proven successful for years -- far more so than gels . . .

For those plants, what would you recommend as a loose compost? I've been considering a mix containing small tree fern fibers.

For those plants, what would you recommend as a loose compost? I've been considering a mix containing small tree fern fibers.

I would go with live sphagnum moss if possible; or else a loose compost with dried moss, pumice, and cedar bark. You generally want a mix that will allow the plant to snugly fit within the pot, but allow for ample air exchange and drainage . . .

I have also had good success with the Rootone powder. Highly recommend it. I I'll also second BigBella's recommendation for potting mix.

Back