What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new here, have some new sundew sprouts...?

Today i was looking at my drosera adelae when i spotted some little growth next to it. My first thought was, wth.. a weed? Upon further inspection it appears to be more sundew plants, but of a different type. What gives, what kinda are they? Where did they come from? Should I eventually transplant them to their own pot or should i leave them with the adelae? I really don't understand how they got there.

The plants are fairly new that I have and the soil is pretty new aswell, maybe a month...

Here are some pictures.

Also, another question, what kind of humidity do the sundews like? I included a picture of my hydrometer reading and temp. Is it okay as long as the sundew gets enough water and light?

And one more thing, is that last picture a small flower coming in? It sort of looks like it...

pic001.jpg

pic002.jpg

pic003.jpg

pic004.jpg

pic005.jpg

A flower?

maby an aborted flower...

D. adelae sprouts from its roots. next time you repot the whole plant...first youll notice that the rootmass is huge!! then. if you cut off a bit of the root. bury it in a bit of peat moss and youll have new plants! humidity and temps seem fine...however it dosent look like its getting enough light. what kind of lighting is it getting?
Alex

Last time I checked they use there roots to mamke runnerse(new plants) so those could just be new plants. Wait for like a month or until they are bigger to A See if they are lance leaf sundews and B Repot them if they are sundews

Happy Growing
~Pon14

Right now it's getting window sill light + an 18 watt grow light. I had it all in a terrarium but the read that they don't need super high humidity so took them out. There isn't much of my house that receives sunlight for very long, even outdoors. And my porch just gets really hot with little sun and little air circulation. There are two air conditioning units pretty close to my porch and they just pour heat back there so the porch as I found out isn't too nice to the plants. I could put them in a sill upstairs but then only one window receives light for a few hours in the morning and the other a few at night.

As for those new sprouts, i'm almost completely sure they are a different species. The leaves look totally different, i guess you can't tell a whole lot in that one picture i put up. I'll try to take a better one.

Here ya go...

So unless Adelaes look completely different when they're young, then yeah... These sort of look like one of my ones i had bought with the adelae that just recently died. Perhaps it left a memento of it's life somehow in another pot. Is it D. Rotundifolia, that's the one I was thinking of...

pic006.jpg

pic007.jpg

pon14: runners are different. runners are parts of the plant(not the roots) that sprout off a mother plant and "run" around then pop up as a babie.

they are baby adelae. they look different when young.... lets see if i can find one of my under ground babies :)
EDIT:
IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

pardon the reflection :)
IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

Alex

Yarik,
The sprouts in that pot are definately baby D. adelae. When young the leaves are round, they do not begin to make the familliar pointed leaves untill about the 6th or 7th leaf in line. As mentioned above, the plant reproduces prolifically from its roots. As you can see in the following picture, it doesn't take long to completely fill up its pot.

D. adelae does not enjoy full sunlight in my experience it didn't even like the windowsill for me. I have found that mine grows best indoors under fluorescent lights.

Good luck,
Steve

adelae22506small2.JPG

Well cool, more plants :)

How do you guys get your plants so dang dewy. My little baby ones hardly have any dew, and your guys plants are like slathered in dew, even the young ones it looks like. Mine only has one new leaf that has some decent dew.Do i need to give them more water. I had it sitting in a saucer of water and the soil media was very wet I thought. Doesn't seem like i could get it much wetter without drowning everything, especially these new babies. But... maybe i'm just to used to different planes like tomatoes and such.

How do you guys get your plants so dang dewy.

More light. Humidity is not the problem. More light.

Wait for like a month or until they are bigger to A See if they are lance leaf sundews and B Repot them if they are sundews

Why would you need to repot? Totally unnecessary.

xvart.

D. adelae baby plants:

IMG_0066.jpg

And yes, they start off rounded, before becomeing lanceleaf.

A common mistake is to assume that wetter more humid conditions will produce more "dew". Dew on Drosera species is a result of a happy, healthy plant and of all factors light is the primary concern. Of course, you don't want to just put the plants out in full sun, or they'll fry, but if acclimated over a couple of weeks, most all Drosera species can take being outside in full sun with humidity levels like what you show on your hydrometer. This sort of fussing is worthwhile in the long run with sturdy plants being produced. They also like air circulation and a cooler night temps along with good nutrition and pure water. The dew on sundews won't dry out in open air conditions, provided humidity is 40% or more and the plant has some protection from harsh winds. D. adelae is one that you need to go VERY slow with. Indoors, the more light the better via flourescents. Most of my collection was under 4 twin bulb shoplights October to April, and then outdoors for the summer. I love seeing the dew sparkle in the morning sunlight!

Back