What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Enthusiast - Drosera Concerns-General Growing?

A VFT was my first CP. I didn't know what I was doing either. I bought it in Feb from the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. I even put it on top of my entertainment center well away from any window for like a week. I finally did some reading online, popped that baby outside in a new pot with peat/perlite in a few inches of water, and it already has divided at least once. They don't take much...

As for the lance leaf sundew quandry (even though its clear you don't have one) I just want to be the odd one out who grows it in the windowsill in a pot with peat/perlite with no problems. I am now temped, however, to take one and put it in straight LFS and see waht it does.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ July 18 2006,9:48)]What do you mean by Sphagnum AND peat moss?? You definately need more water. 50's are fine.. leave them outside. S. purpurea can take even light snowfall. Squirrels are a variable.. I would not worry about them unless they become a problem.
Well, I bought new zealand sphagnum moss and peat moss, as well as perlite. so i mixed a bit of all of it together, figuring it coulden't hurt

Well the plants are out on the deck.. I hope it doesn't get too hot. There's supposed to be a high of about 90° today, but the deck tends to hold a little more heat. I added another inch of water, and left them next to some other plants on a wicker table so the extra heat can dissipate. Hope all is well!
smile.gif

your soil mix is fine

Well, I think all of my immediate questions have been answered. I would like to take the time to tell all of you Thank You! I appreciate all of your help, and hopefully my CP's will be healthy! I will keep you posted on them as time progresses! Thanks Everyone!

Sorry to chime in at the 11th hr, but rather late than never. The sundew appears to be D. nidiformis. Do be careful regarding overexposure to sun at first since this one is a little pale and etiolated and likely to sunburn easily. It's nice to meet another sundew enthusiast, welcome!

Do any of you know if the "savage garden" book has information regarding all of the genus/species names? I would like to become more fluent with all of these species!

Yes it does. Buy a copy and from now on refer to it as BIBLE. It is an amazing fountain of knowledge!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Yes it does. Buy a copy and from now on refer to it as BIBLE. It is an amazing fountain of knowledge!

the Savage Garden is a very good book but its not 100% accurate. yah gotta remember Peter has a greenhouse as well as the fact he lives in California. not everything that works for him will work for you. the book however is a very good general referance and i thumb through mine on a regular basis. Barry Rice has a book coming out this fall that should equal or beat Peters book
smile_n_32.gif

yes I agree with both the books! Though I havent read the latter, I still am sure it will do just as well.

I just want to say a, uhh hope you work every thing out, kinda rootin you on, I know how frustrating it can be at first but youre plants will give back to you what you put in!

Just thought I'd let you guys know that as of yesterday, I noticed new leaves sprouting from all plants except the dente vft, so it appears everything is great so far!

Here's some updated pictures guys, I think the sarracenia is doing well, it's getting some more color, and a couple of the traps on the dionaea are opening up! there's also some new growth, hah, I'm getting pathetically excited about this
smile_n_32.gif
2831320_1024.ts1153442723529.jpg

2831323_1024.ts1153442736058.jpg

2831294_1024.ts1153442687567.jpg

Nice pic of the Sarracenia!! I bought a D. Binata couple days back, after close inspection, I found I had gotten 2 more CPs. There were like D. Capensis and some terrestrial bladderworts growing along with the Binata, I'm probably gonna have to repot this weekend.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EvoWake @ July 20 2006,8:46)]I'm getting pathetically excited about this
smile_n_32.gif
Yeah, it happens...
smile_l_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blepharopsis @ July 20 2006,9:10)]Nice pic of the Sarracenia!! I bought a D. Binata couple days back, after close inspection, I found I had gotten 2 more CPs. There were like D. Capensis and some terrestrial bladderworts growing along with the Binata, I'm probably gonna have to repot this weekend.....
Thanks! And that's Awesome! Every time i visit the nursery now i'm going to check the pot for a 2 or 3 for one :-D I can't wait to see my dionaea grow some traps like those of you on these forums! And for my drosera's to get some leaves and dew back.. do you think i should cut the stalks?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EvoWake @ July 20 2006,9:32)]Every time i visit the nursery now i'm going to check the pot for a 2 or 3 for one :-D
now your learning
smile.gif

i cut the stalks but D. nidiformis readily produces seed. your call.

heh. I kind of think it's a D. intermedia... I guess I could be wrong though. Maybe I'll cut them off of one of them to see if it makes a difference.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blepharopsis @ July 20 2006,9:10)]Nice pic of the Sarracenia!! I bought a D. Binata couple days back, after close inspection, I found I had gotten 2 more CPs. There were like D. Capensis and some terrestrial bladderworts growing along with the Binata, I'm probably gonna have to repot this weekend.....
You'll love the binata. It is the most bombproof and versatile CP out there. About that colony of Utrics, though, can you post a picture? "Bells and whistles" go off when there is mention of a stray Utric. I hope it isn't U. subulata....
smile_k_ani_32.gif

It's not I think.... U. Subulata have all yellow flowers? Mine looks more like a U. Bisquamata. I'll take pics as soon as I find my camera!! How low of temps can Binata tolerate?

Back