What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
Maybe I should have somebody else to post this because nobody will believe it's really true if I post it, but here goes anyway.

A S.purpurealike plant was found in China. Bad news it it went exticnt millions of years ago. Maybe this will give a little detail to the evolution of CP's.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]With the carnivorous pitchers and beautiful flowers, sarraceniacean plants are found with three genera separately distributed in South and North America. They are considered neither related to the monospecific Cephalotaceae in Australia, nor the monogeneric Nepenthaceae in the Old World tropics (including southern China). For lacking fossil record, whether sarraceniacean genera originated from South Africa or alternately within North America has been uncertain. Here we report the first fossil sarraceniacean plant, Archaeamphora longicervia, from the Jianshangou Formation, Low Cretaceous, at Beipiao, western Liaoning, China. The plants are herbaceous and similar to modern Sarracenia purpurea to some extent in having spirally arranged pitchers and phyllodia-like tubular leaves with parallel major veins. They can be reconstructed together with intimately associated seeds that are reticulate-tuberculate and winged, morphologically resembling the seeds of Sarracenia the most. Furthermore, using GC-MS we have found the fossil molecular peak with oleanane in the extracts that were directly leached from three fossil pitcher samples. The extracts were then treated with zeolite molecular sieve to remove non-oleanane isomers and thus confirm the existence of oleanane through GC-MS analysis again. Oleanane has been considered to be a biomarker of angiosperms, and it has not been found in extant gymnosperms. Several other fossil and sedimentary samples collected from the same site were also analyzed, but no oleanane has been found yet. The existence of fossil molecule oleanane suggests the fossil plants should belong to angiosperms rather than gymnosperms, while the unique pitcher structure and characteristic sarraceniacean seeds lead to a comparison to sarraceniacean plants. Archaeamphora demonstrates the oldest, and the only fossil record of sarraceniacean plants. China does not have living sarraceniacean plants, but very few species of Nepenthaceae. Obviously, this fossil record from China provides us significant data in study of the origin, evolution, and phylogenetic relationships of pitcher plants.
Li1s.JPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Occurrence of Crown Eudicot Angiosperm - Sarraceniacean-like Pitcher Plants - in the Early Cretaceous, China.

Recently, the earliest known angiosperm Archaefructus liaoningensis and A. sinensis are suspected to be of possible crown group of angiosperms rather than sister taxa of all extant angiosperms. However, multiple lines of evidence (e.g., cymose inflorescence, small bisexual flowers, orthotropous ovules, etc.) found on a new species, Archaefructus eoflora*, suggest that Archaefructus is a neither primitive nor crown angiosperm, but among the basal dicots. Another coeval fossil plant, Sinocarpus, is proposed to be a basal eudicot. Thus, although recent molecular studies suggest that crown angiosperms should have occurred between 148-208 mya, no true crown eudicot angiosperms have been found in the Yixian Formation (125 mya) yet.
Here I report a new fossil plant taxon, Archaeamphora longicervia gen. et sp. nov. Li, from the site of Archaefructus liaoningensis in the same Yixian Formation, northeastern China. The plants are herbaceous and similar to modern sarraceniaceans in having spirally arranged developed/underdeveloped pitchers that have parallel major veins and reticulate meshes, distinctive honey-spoon-like structures, and porous cuticularized glands on the inner surface. The intimately associated seeds are reticulate-tuberculate and winged, resembling sarraceniacean seeds. The unique pitcher and characteristic seed together suggest a relationship to Sarraceniaceae of the crown group of angiosperms. The relationship to angiosperms is also supported with fossil molecule oleanane found from Archaeamphora, using GC-MS.
Archaeamphora demonstrates the earliest carnivorous plant and the only fossil record of pitcher plants. Also, as the third genus of the earliest known angiosperms, the existence of such highly derived core eudicot angiosperm suggests that flowering plants should have originated much earlier, possibly in the Late Paleozoic as molecular clock studies predicted.
*Ji, Q., H. Li, L. M. Bowe, Y. Liu, & D. W. Taylor, 2004, Early Cretaceous Archaefructus eoflora sp. nov. with bisexual flowers from Beipiao, western Liaoning, China. Acta Geologica Sinica 78: 883-896.

Related Links:

Wow! What a fantastic find! Can you provide the link, and are there any paleobotanists out there who can comment on this?

BTW, Ozzy, if you did fake this, I'm starting a new religion with you as the leader!
smile_n_32.gif

I was about to go off if this was a fake
smile_n_32.gif
. That joke is getting old and played out
smile.gif
. Good work man.

Now that you're back in NC, you can't say bisexual in a message without condemning the lifestyle as contrary to the will of God.  Shame on you all you evil plants.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now that you're back in NC, you can't say bisexual in a message without condemning the lifestyle as contrary to the will of God. Shame on you all you evil plants.

WTH?
confused.gif

hey, was that guy on Star Trek?

I think it's funny that everytime I post something everybody has to decide if it real or fake.
Talk about a bunch of paronoid people.
smile_n_32.gif

Hmmm,I wonder why that is OZZY!
smile_n_32.gif
~Niki~
smile_m_32.gif

Ozzy Paul Temple posted ont he listserv also. Not as good as yours though.
Oh I posted it there. And I can't realy make out what the guy is holding (what is he holding?).

It looks like I rock with a plant fossil. I can't make out the plant but it sure doesn't look like a S.purpurea.
Yeah I saw his post. I get an email every time carnivorous plants is mentioned in a news article. So very little passes me by.

Yeah.  I thought it looked like a flowering plant fossil.
BTW how do you sign up to get email whenever CPs are mentioned in the news.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Zongyi_Yang @ July 02 2005,11:53)]Heres his website. Interesting, but I fell for the april fools joke about the eviction and all that, so I'm a little suspicious
smile_m_32.gif
http://faculty.frostburg.edu/biol/hli/index.htm
Zongyi
that website looks kinda rushed, unprofessional and scruffy for a proffesional plant botanist and doctor.....

It's through Google. Go to google.com, then click more. You'll see a list of services. The first one is alerts, click it. Type what ever words you want to be alerted to.

Back