What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I germinated seed from my Albino cape sundew and a few of the seedlings were different. They flowered 6 months from germination when the other seedlings took 8+ months. They have pink-ish foliage and are 10 to 12 inches across, about 30% bigger than the other albino seedlings.

I had all red, typical and albino flowering at the same time when I made these seeds but none of my other plants are this big or pink colored. If you've had a similar experience, or have seen a similar cape sundew clone let me know. Or if you want a few seeds from the big pink plants to experiment with send me a pm for sase or trade.

Link to pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/104294...authkey=Gv1sRgCJKZ0vnOnMK2ggE&feat=directlink

Great looking plant

Awesome! That is what I am talking about.

I'm going to try and cross a few different capensis and see if I can't make something new and exciting. Your plants are definitely beautiful looking. ;)

Ya thats a sweet cape!

Awesome! That is what I am talking about.

I'm going to try and cross a few different capensis and see if I can't make something new and exciting. Your plants are definitely beautiful looking. ;)

@Dex... Do you know how long cape pollen lasts, cuz I have a couple more flowers that are gonna open this week on my alba's scape and I can cutthem off to rub on my typical and red's flowers.. My typical is makig a scape now but my red isnt....

I like that, a lot. If it weren't for the photos I'd have a hard time believing you.

You should definitely consider asexually propagating that one, very interesting...

Wow..... I want one! Lol awesome thanks for sharing

Ya thats a sweet cape!

@Dex... Do you know how long cape pollen lasts, cuz I have a couple more flowers that are gonna open this week on my alba's scape and I can cutthem off to rub on my typical and red's flowers.. My typical is makig a scape now but my red isnt....

I don't actually know, I haven't really been serious about cross pollinating D. capensis yet. Mine are still growing in size, probably will flower soonish.

Try saving it in the fridge, maybe? Or freezer. I really have zero experience with pollen of any kind to be completely honest.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I've never tried to hand-pollinate capensis either; they self pollinate for me.

I let the big pink capensis flower and they set some seed if anyone wants a little. It seems like they should come out big and pink right?

Very neat and beautifully grown! Looks most likely to be a typical x "Red"?
The F2 generation of plants from self-pollination may produce a wide variety of offspring, and it may even get cross-pollinated again by the D. 'Albino's' or others to make even other variations.
Regardless, there should be some nice big genes in the offspring and I'll love to see what they look like :water:

Maybe even try manually crossing the big ones and see if you can get any bigger :)

I'm almost certain the original seeds came from albino plants, although the seed is like dust and I was saving other seeds at the time. Well that's an interesting idea to cross the big pink ones. They self pollinated this time around.

Very neat and beautifully grown! Looks most likely to be a typical x "Red"?
The F2 generation of plants from self-pollination may produce a wide variety of offspring, and it may even get cross-pollinated again by the D. 'Albino's' or others to make even other variations.
Regardless, there should be some nice big genes in the offspring and I'll love to see what they look like :water:

Maybe even try manually crossing the big ones and see if you can get any bigger :)

Those are the nicest looking cape's I've ever seen. Love the interesting colours, and how big they are. congrats!

that first picture is amazing, really shows the size difference!

Back