What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Canadian import regs?

I was shown this recently and it appears to give the green light to the import of (non cites) Cp's from USA
It would be great if our members from the Great White North could fully participate in NASC.


"Most plants or plant products originating from the Continental United States (U.S.) do not require a permit. To find out what plants or plant products require a permit from the Continental U.S., please consult the List of propagative plant material and other commodities that require an import permit if originating (i.e. place of propagation) from the Continental United States. We advise that you submit an application for a permit for all material being imported from any place other than the Continental U.S. Most import permits are valid for three years.....

Date modified:2014-02-16"


seems pretty black and white...

Last edited:
Says "Note: These lists are not inclusive." I would assume that most or all cp's would be ok falling under the "Houseplants for personal use" category. Most of the non eligible plants all seem to be temperate agricultural or ornamental genera with potential concerns regarding pests, diseases, invasive behavior or (in the case of Nicotiana) FDA (or the Canadian equivalent) issues. If they can't provide a less ambiguous list then it looks to me like cp's are in the clear.
I will call CFIA tomorrow.

1.3 Regulated pests

Japanese beetle, Popillia japonica Newman

1.4 Regulated commodities

Rooted plants and plant root systems (e.g. bulbs, tubers) with soil and/or growing media.

1.5 Exempt commodities

Note: The following commodities are exempt only from the JB requirements described in this directive. Other requirements (e.g. phytosanitary certification) may apply if specified under other directives. Contact your local CFIA for more information or visit the CFIA website.

Plants and plant root systems (all underground propagative material, e.g. roots, rhizomes, tubers, corms, bulbs), whether dormant or growing, that are substantially free from soil and/or growing media. For the purposes of this directive, plants and plant root systems are considered substantially free from soil and growing media as long as the maximum size of any individual clump present on the material is less than 12.7 mm (0.5 inches) in diameter.

Unrooted plant material.

Plants produced entirely outside of the JB flight period (see section 2.3 for details).

Houseplants (non-commercial) which have been grown indoors in a home and not set outdoors as patio plants.

Material intended for consumption.

Plants produced under the Canadian Growing Media Program (see D-96-20: Canadian Growing Media Program, Prior Approval Process and Import Requirements for Plants Rooted in Approved Media) must be free of all life stages of JB, but the requirements described below (e.g., additional declarations, production in certified facilities) do not apply.
1.6 Regulated areas

The areas regulated under this directive are Canada, the continental U.S. and Hawaii. "U.S." used in this directive indicates the continental U.S. states and the state of Hawaii.
Last edited:
What about into the USA?
It seems like there are two different issues here. One is whether the Canadian grower would need an import permit (I agree it looks like they don't), but the other is whether they need a US phytosanitary certificate with the shipment. To me it looks like they do still need phyto, which is prohibitively expensive in many cases, but maybe I'm not reading this right. Take a look at "general import requirements" and section 4.1/4.2 on this page:
Then 4.7 in your link Mike seems to say its ok to import tropical/semi tropical houseplants from CONUS without phyto or import papers... but you must "personally" bring them in and limit the number to 50 plants.

So I guess Canadians can cross the border and personally bring in up to 50 "houseplants" for "personal use" without issue (assuming no species specific issues)

So who is our official Canadian mule for NASC LOLOLOLOL

Be nice if they would give a charity exemption....
Last edited:
So I guess Canadians can cross the border and personally bring in up to 50 "houseplants" for "personal use" without issue (assuming no species specific issues)

That has been in play for a while now. A gent I know on a cacti/succ forum frequently will take plants over the border in either direction. If he is doing trades with US folks, he waits until he is visiting family in the US. He then brings his trade items with him over the border and mails them to the other person. That person, in turn, will have mailed their trade plants to his relatives' home. He then takes them with him back over the border when he returns to Canada.
  • #10
This covers the situation of a US citizen passing through Canada from one US State to another (e.g. Alaska to one of the 48 states). Proof of no intent to remain in Canada is required by Canadian authorities. The plants are not to stay in Canada (inventory is checked entering and leaving):
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/737/kw/house plants/suggested/1

4. Avoid taking items that are restricted or prohibited from entering Canada. For instance, household plants and dirt generally can enter Canada temporarily. However, under no circumstances can outdoor plants or firewood enter Canada.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/600/kw/house plants/suggested/1
Travelers bringing plants across the border into the US require a phytosanitary certificate. If 12 or less plants the plants are inspected by US Customs and Border Protection. If 13 or more the plants are inspected by the USDA/APHIS at the nearest Plant Protection Quarantine Inspection Station. Additional permits are required.

Many plants may enter the United States from foreign countries, provided they meet certain entry requirements. Entry requirements vary by plant, but the following requirements universally apply:

· If you bring back 12 or fewer articles of admissible plants that have no special restrictions, you do not need a permit. Special restrictions may include requirements such as a permit, post-entry quarantine, treatment, or ESA or CITES documentation.

· Plants must be accompanied by a phytosanitary certificate from the country of origin showing that the plants meet entry requirements for the United States.

· Plants should be bare rooted (no growing media attached to the roots).

· You should perform a basic visual inspection of plants. Look for insects or sickly looking plant parts.

· Wrap plants in damp newspaper or similar material to prevent them from drying out. Roots may be secured in a plastic bag.

Twelve or fewer plants are inspected by CBP at the first port of entry. Thirteen or more plants will be inspected by APHIS personnel at the nearest Plant Inspection Station. If the inspector finds plant pests that could cause harm to other plants, or if the plants do not meet entry requirements, they will be refused entry. This means you must forfeit the plants, which will either be destroyed or returned to the country of origin.

Travelers are advised to consult with their nearest APHIS PPQ Plant Inspection Station to determine the admissibility of propagative plant material (including live plants, bulbs, corms, cuttings, root crowns, seeds, etc.).

You can learn more about admissibility and entry requirements for certain plants by calling Permit Services at (301) 851-2046 or toll-free at (877) 770-5990 or by email at Permits@aphis.usda.gov.
Last edited:
  • #11
If ever in doubt just call APHIS in Riverdale MD. Its the main office and theyre very nice and helpful people. They explain everything in laymens terms leaving nothing open for interpretation.
  • #12
>So who is our official Canadian mule for NASC

I vote for Carl Mazur
  • #13
Oy! I've done this!

I brought quite a few plants back from the ICPS conference a while back. Didn't have any problems at the borders, but I had printed out the sheet showing the legalities involved and brought it with me.

I didn't declare that I had the plants, but would've declared them had they asked if we had plants or animals.

I wouldn't recommend importing any temperate CPs, as they're technically qualified as outdoor plants, but as far as I know, all tropical CPs are accepted as houseplants.

For the record, it's also completely legal to send seeds to Canadians, although the reverse is illegal.