What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes "Red"? Can we name this thing?

My friend has had a nepenthes for years that's simply labeled "Red". It's clearly a maxima hybrid, but he doesn't know anything about its origins. Maxima x sanguinea wouldn't surprise me, but it would only be a guess.

tZmeMzEh.jpg

yJFcMNCh.jpg

oPOYjL8h.jpg

2pOEqCch.jpg

Both the leaves and pitchers are quite red and the plant is extremely robust. It flowers constantly (female). It seems worth having in the hobby. But I don't like distributing plants without IDs.

In the CP Photo Finder I don't see any nepenthes named "Red". Would it be kosher if I just named this clone myself and let it loose into the hobby? Since it's not the reddest nepenthes that ever was I'd probably pick a different name. What do you guys do in a situation like this?

looks much more like a hybrid w albomarginata, or one of the species from the alata complex

Looks like it could also be a hybrid with N. tobaica, but I'm thinking that's probably not very likely...the peristome looks just a little too narrow and the coloring a little too uniform for a straight maxima hybrid, it might be a complex hybrid or a backcross as well.

Without provenance, it is very unlikely that you will get a positive ID on this plant. Any guesses will be just that, guesses.

I don't expect an ID at all. I just want to know if it can be made into a proper plant for trading into the community -- given a unique name instead of being saddled with a NOID tag. Should I just name it and let it catch on?

maxima x sanguinea seems like a very sound guess to me.

I think albomarginata and sanguinea are in the parentage.
Albomarginata features: leaf color and shape, pitcher shape
Sanguinea features: peristome, pitcher opening

It's certainly not Maxima x Sanguinea - I've got that, and seen a number of plants of that grex.

Could be St Longinus = ((kampotiana x maxima) x (albomarginata x veitchii)).

Back