What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes bicalcarata 1 week away from blooming,

Hi all,

Out of sheer luck, our 5-year-old N. bicalcarata has decided to create its first flower stalk ever! The buds are still too primordial to sex the plant, but it appears to be a male inflorescence. I am willing to send pollen--not particular at all what it gets crossed with--for a cut of the ripe seeds. And of course, if it's female I will be soliciting pollen donations and passing along ripe seed later.

I will update this thread as soon as I am able to determine the gender of the plant. Preference will be to folks I've already had good dealings with, but otherwise let me know what you've got and we'll try to make the most appealing cross possible. Regretfully, I may not be able to juggle dealing with more than 1-2 folks at once.

Thanks, and let the hunt for a mate begin! I'll get photos up tomorrow if I can so that you guys can guesstimate what gender this thing is.

Last edited:
Well, bummer! My bicalcs is only about 3 or maybe 4 years old, and not flowering yet, otherwise, I'd be signing up. For that matter, no flowers yet at all.

Very exciting though, please post pics when you have a chance!

Must be due to all those nekkid fertility ritual dances you've been doing in the greenhouse. heh

Congrats dude, I hope you can find a Female

Photo time!!

Clearly one of the most unique Nepenthes blossoms out there. Rather than a cylinder or cone of flowers, here we're gonna have a giant pagoda!

Now, most importantly, we are gonna play SEX.... THIS.... PLANT!! The faster we figure this out, the faster we can arrange a suitable mate before it blooms out. If you have cool friends with blooming plants, spread the word that this fellow wants to reproduce!

If it changes significantly I'll shoot s'more photos. There honestly don't appear to be a great many shots out there of bicals in bloom.

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised this has been up a couple days and nobody has commented on how cool it looks. That will be a LOT of pollen. Looks great, Kevin!

Nice photos! Just saw this in person earlier today, very impressive plant. I hope it finds a mate...

Sweet! Good luck finding a baby momma.

Back